No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 18th and 19th century drinking glasses  (Read 6706 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
18th and 19th century drinking glasses
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:12:19 AM »
I have just bought three large mixed lots of 18th and 19th century drinking glasses - at a sale with a lot of very nice airtwists that were too expensive for me until I know what I am doing, these were the plainer, less desirable ones lotted up together.  Altogether I suppose I have around 200 glasses, ales, cordials, wines, etc.  lots of different shapes, now I have to work out just what I have got.

I have ordered myself up a copy of Bickerton, do the antique glass people here have any other advice for me, please?  I have a gut feeling this may be a large learning curve....

My first filter is that if there is a gadget mark as a pontil then it is 19th century. Would that be right?

And are there any other suggestions for quick and dirty filters I can apply to get them sorted out?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: 18th and 19th century drinking glasses
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 09:52:11 AM »
The book "Dansk glas 1825-1925" <LARSEN, ALFRED & SCHLÜTER, MOGENS & RIISMØLLER, PETER> (even if it is in Danish)  covers drinking glasses produced at the various Danish glassworks. Models are 90% identical to those produced in other European countries at the time. As the Danish works were well documented, the time frame for production given in the book is quite accurate.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 10:57:35 AM »
Thanks Ivo, is the info easily assimilated by a non-Danish speaker? 

I am concerned that what I need is the right terminology, which is why I have the Bickerton on the way.  But I have nothing yet (other than general antique books, and Hajdamach) on 19th century, and it is the difference between 18th and 19th I need to swot up on.

It will be interesting though, you guys have always told me the best way to find out about any kind of glass is to get it first, then find out later!

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 11:18:12 AM »
Hi Lynne,

There is a book called "Investing in Georgian Glass" with some lovely pictures in it, for sale on ebay, (I've forgotton how to do the short links sorry  :-[ )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INVESTING-IN-GEORGIAN-GLASS-Drinking-Vessels-Tableware_W0QQitemZ270179797255QQihZ017QQcategoryZ274QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know if that is the sort of thing you are looking for.

And there is a nice website which sells that sort of glass with really nice pictures and descriptions which may be useful.

http://www.antique-glass.co.uk/index.htm

Hope that is of some help,

Barbara

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 11:28:10 AM »
Thank Barbara - I've made a note of that one.  The Bickerton I have on order, I believe is the industry standard book, and I've ordered the later updated version of that, so I will have a look first and see if that has the same kind of stuff as this one - can't afford to keep on spending ALL the profits on reference books....I'm sure you know that feeling!!

and yes, that site is brilliant...oh to have these people's knowledge and experience.  I know it comes with time but I want it all NOW!   ::)

Glad to see you back, btw... :D
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 11:40:34 AM »
Hi Lynne,

Just glad to be of a little help, and it is so wonderful to be back. It was like having a vital part removed, but hopefully will be popping in on a much more regular basis.

Barbara

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 11:46:54 AM »
Hi Lynne,
Mark Wests site is good,
http://www.markwest-glass.com/index.html
also Christine Bridge Antiques,

http://www.antiqueglass.co.uk/

and a couple of Millers books are good,
Collecting Glass the facts at your fingertips,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Millers-Collecting-Glass-Fingertips-Collectors/dp/1840001917/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1204286408&sr=11-1
and Millers Glass, antique checklist,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glass-Millers-Antiques-Checklist-Mark/dp/1840002824/ref=pd_sim_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1204286408&sr=11-1

Both using Mark Wests knowledge.
Regards Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 11:59:54 AM »
Great Andy, both books nice and cheap (did I say I was a cheap skate??  who MOI!   :o)

ordered up just like that....

thanks also for Mark West's site.  I had that bookmarked ages ago, and couldn't remember his name again to get it onto my new computer, so thank you very very much!!

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
The Bickerton book is great but be aware that, as "An "Illustrated Guide", most of it is simply photographs (alebiet very good ones) and basic descriptions of each glass.

A couple of other "classic" books that you might still find are:
- Glass through the ages by E. Barrington Haynes, first publsihed 1948, revised 1959
- The Glass Collector, A Guide to Old English Glass, by Maciver Percival, published in the days when they did not include the publishing year! (I have a second edition, also no publication year)

Although none of the books I mention cover much on the comparisons of "modern" with "old", there are some very useful pointers in each of them to the relevant features of 18th century items. Maybe some of the other books mentioned earlier do give details for comparion between 18th century and later glasses but that is a field that, some years ago, I found difficult to get much detail on. So I stopped trying to understand it.

Copies of old glasses have always been made and, as with many other "old vs copies" items, it is only with much experience that the copies can be more easily identified.

Some time ago (when I was using Tinypic for glass images) I put up a fun quiz photo, although in relation to a genuine query. The image is now on GlassGallery and can be seen here (clickable for larger version). The question was, "Which of the glasses is a fake?" Sizes (decimalised inches) and weight (grammes) for each are given in the photo to either help or confuse.
KevinH

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 02:02:49 PM »
Id say 3rd from left?

Your'e gonna tell me they're all fakes, arent you ;D

Cheers
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand