No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian or Murano?  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Re: Scandinavian or Murano?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 04:39:11 PM »
Although I cant really make it out from the photo I think the small red one might be a Sven Palmqvist piece for Orrefors (if so the sig' might read something like the ORREFORS PU 1234/5 example below). Not sure it has anything to do with the large one though?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 05:11:02 PM »
Martyn,
i was staring at it today, and was just about to post that i thought it may be Orrefors :D
or maybe Johanasfors glasbruk. Certainly looks Scandinavian , but it doesnt look like the same
as the large one though :-\
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wesley

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 11:15:56 PM »
Hello,

I think you are right, even though they came from the same house auction, thay are from different countries.

I contacted the owner of they http://www.circa5060.ca/index2.php?id=artglasslines site who is a top guy  :clap: from Canada called Brian and in passing mentioned the larger piece like mine which he has on his site. In his email reply, he said that to the best of his researching it is attributed to Hlava.

I also asked him about any other pieces of Czech glass that he might have for sale, as I would now like to build a small collection of it. He has sent me some of the most amazing pictures of some pieces he has for sale and of his shop. I know what I am saving up for now  ;D . WOW!

Best wishes,

Wes

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 04:23:24 PM »
Hi Wes,
I think this was designed by Oldrich Lipá, making it Czech, but I don't have a date or factory for it yet, though it's probably mid-1960s. When I come across it next, I'll let you know. Alternatively, researching using his name may reveal more.
Hope this helps,
Mark
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Sklounion

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »
Hi Mark,
I really would be very wary with this one.....
Lipa's work is usually ignored,and almost always attributed to Hlava, and rarely well-documented.......
Were it a Lipa piece, then I would expect either a Moser mark, given that he designed in-house for them, or an Exbor Studio's mark to the base.
Lipa was not known to have been involved in the re-training programme for Mstisov workers, when they were moved to Karlovy Vary.
This programme led, as I am sure Mark will know, to many items, to designs by Zemek, being made by Moser, usually with paper labels, rather than acid etched marks.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 09:56:21 PM »
That wear looks highly suspicious, it should only be on the flat part and that clearly goes around corners. Easily done with emery on the lap and was a common practise by the unscrupulous in my dealing days - if you asked them what they were doing... "Trying to polish the scratches off", my retort "Try a finer emery!"

Sklounion

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 10:46:49 PM »
Now this is getting confusing.... Please can we be absolutely sure which base image we are referring to. The first has little wear, and NO signature, the second is similar, worn (very) and possibly signed.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 11:20:17 PM »
If the second bowl is Orrefors, the centre of the base is likely indented (ground out pontil) and the signature (and wear) is around the outer edge.

I think the image here is scanned rather than a photo, which flattens out the relief.  So it could well be the same, therefore not suspicious.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 08:28:34 AM »
The first two base images of Wesley. Agreed that is hard to tell from the pics but in those it looks odd to me.

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 10:32:12 AM »
Hi,
Without complicating things further, please see the following image:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9815
Shortly after posting my first message, I contacted my colleague Graham Cooley, who I have been working with on the forthcoming Hi Sklo Lo Sklo exhibition of Graham's glass, and the accompanying catalogue.
Over the past few years we've been amassing information which now includes copies of every page in CGR (Czechoslovak Glass Review) showing a piece of glass. Of course, I do realise that the periodical is not always 100% reliable as regards attributions, but I think this one is okay. I am sorry that I don't have a date right now for this page, but as I say, when I am less busy and books have gone to bed I will rectify this.
I hope this helps,
Mark
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand