No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this the best ebay bargain ever? Iridescent vase ! Could it be S****** ?  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
And your tulip vase was hardly a mistake  :o

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
Hi Christine,
Tulip vase did well, i feel a bit guilty because without the help and id of a Tulip vase from
all on the GMB, especially Patricia, i wouldnt have got such a good price for it, and i know she wanted it :-[
so Patricia, if your watching, many thanks for the help, sorry you werent successful :(

Regards
Andy

"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
Steuben glass is also a bit more subdued in iridescence. it wouldn't be so garishly bright if it were steuben. As Warren said Steuben the construction would also be very different if it were steuben. I have to agree with more modern import or perhaps a art glass student piece. For example pilchuck school of glass students  are not allowed to sign their ware while they are still learning.

Offline Andy

• Members
Hi and thanks azelismia,
i can certainly see from the photos of Steuben in my books, that the finish is more 'subtle'
Im thinking the maker of my vase was copying a Steuben or Loetz style, and i think has made
a very nice object, i also dont expect you can see tool marks on Steuben , such as i have
around the shaped rim.
Im happy with the £5 i paid,  ;D , and will keep searching for more clues to this one.
Coincidence that Glen has its twin, and of all the hundreds of websites ive visited, ive never seen another
anywhere else, or i presume anyone else has. Maybe another will turn up with a label :D
Regards Andy

Offline Gilead

• Members
Andy
       Love it i would have paid all of £5 for that vase and a bit more, hope you trace it and it turns out to be something great,  :mrgreen:
                                                                                                                                                                                 Steve

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
    • The Curious History of the Bulb Vase
Hey Andy,
As far as the tulip vase is concerned, you bought very well and you sold even better.
Don't forget I already had one, bought for just a bit more than what you paid.
You punched the right keywords for eBay though, it's going to one of the members of our club . She had just admired mine, a few weeks before yours came onto the market.
As for the vase on display here, don't ask me anything about the glass part but in England they are used for hyacinth bulbs as well (does that make it English?). Us continentals are not so over the moon about the model and not so convinced either but if it measures about 20cm and you can easily slip 2 fingers in  ( I realise what I'm writing here, but it IS one of our criteria!) then for England you could list it as such. Good luck again,

Patricia

Patricia
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Offline Andy

• Members
Thanks Patricia :)
I hadnt thought of this vase being a Hyacinth vase, I would have thought its too large,
its 22cm tall, I can just about squeeze a couple of fingers in!
I thought a bulb vase was clear glass, so you can see the roots growing, or does this not matter :huh:

I may keep this a little while in the hope of putting a name to it, i am now leaning towards it
being fairly recent, but i think some time and effort went into its manufacture.
Its got some glue marks from stickers on the base, could just be a charity shop/car boot price ticket,
but maybe one will turn up with a label?
Always the optomist, the fact Glen has an identical one, maybe they were a pair ;D
Regards
Andy

Offline Andy

• Members

Offline Andy

• Members
Just thinking its interesting the ebay item is in the US, as the vases are in the style of
Steuben or other USA Iridescent makers. Maybe they are from that side of the pond :-\
Andy

Offline Andy

• Members
You cant say im not trying to do the research with this one ;)

Ive found a Rindskopf Trefoil vase, very very similar,
http://hometown.aol.com/dlfd912/index.html

Can someone tell me what a Rindskopf bottom looks like ;D

Andy

(edit) Very very very very similar :hiclp:  What do the rest of you think??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand