No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green (Carnival Swung Funeral Vase)  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Green (Carnival Swung Funeral Vase)
« on: April 10, 2008, 01:44:29 PM »
Hi There.
            i bought this vase while out yesterday, i dont know if this is carnival glass or not it as the same shape as some fenton pieces not that i am refering it to be fenton, it stand just a fraction under 14ins high it as 6 sides and seems to twist very lightly round, would this be moulded glass or blown, the base as a muliti star pontil i am just lost with this to be honest,
                                                                                                    Steve

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Re: Green (Carnival Swung Funeral Vase)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 01:52:54 PM »
My reply posted itself (nothing to do with me  :P) before I had finished writing. Here's the full version:

The vase is not Carnival Glass. To be Carnival, it must be iridised. I'll copy below a definition that I wrote some time back.

Essentially, Carnival Glass is patterned glass that has been press-moulded (or in some cases, blow-moulded), and sprayed with metallic solutions to produce an iridescent effect. Whilst the pressing was a mass-produced, mechanical process, it was performed by hand, and items were subsequently fashioned into their final shapes by glassmaker craftsmen. Because of this, almost every piece has its own unique characteristics.

You can read a bit more here:
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/what_is.html

More about Funeral vases in a moment...I'll post this first.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 01:59:24 PM »
To qualify as a Funeral vase an item must have a base diameter of around 5 inches. The height alone is not the determining factor. There are some vases that are very tall indeed, but are not funerals as they do not have a big enough base.

Fenton and Northwood funerals are around 5.25", while Imperial funerals start just under the "magic" 5 inches.

Glen

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »
Glen.
       thank you so much for putting me in the picture, now i need to find out another subject heading as to what sort of vase this is, moulded becausethere are two line's at the bottom where joined or is it mould blown ? and what style is this ? off searching  again cheers
                                                                                                                                                                        Steve

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 03:48:31 PM »
Steve, I suspect it was press moulded and then (while still hot) gripped at the bottom (on the marie / collar base) by the "snap" tool, then swung.

You can usually spot items that are blow moulded because their shape would not permit a plunger to be removed from the piece (in other words, the neck or top of the item is narrower than the body lower down). For example, this bulbous vase:
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/IncaBLUE.html

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 03:44:57 AM »
Thanks Glen
                 Will keep looking and hope to find it some where it came along with this piece which i know is marigold the chap says he has some more but needs to find it out, next wk so i will be back to see him.
                                                                                 Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand