No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identify a opalescent chrysanthemum? bowl  (Read 3566 times)

Offline huntiquelady

• Members
Identify a opalescent chrysanthemum? bowl
« on: August 06, 2005, 09:26:17 AM »
I recently purchased a rippled edge clear glass bowl with opalescent edge and white stripes going down into the center. It looks like the chrysanthemum pattern. It is very fine piece and  light in weight . At the widest point across the top it measures 10". Does someone know who made this beautiful piece. I do not think that it is Fenton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 10:18:11 AM »
Please post a picture; it sounds lovely and I'd love to see it!   :shock:

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 07:11:33 AM »
Here's your picture, Charlotte  :D http://tinypic.com/a3e2s3.jpg

Why not ask this question on the main board?  It is likely to be seen by more people there, as not everyone looks here regularly.  

It's a lovely bowl!  (Just the sort of thing I collect   :wink: ) And at 10" across it's quite big, too!  :shock:  Is it uranium glass?  Does it glow green under UV (or have orangey 'fire' in sunlight, if you haven't got a 'black light' to test it with)?

It looks to me as if it is in perfect condition, with no chips or cracks anywhere, and therefore I would say it's worth a great deal, whoever the maker!   :shock:  :D

I agree with you - I don't think it's Fenton.  I think it could be one of the British Midlands manufacturers, such as Richardson, Walsh or Webb.

What we need is someone with access to pattern books for those companies to check and see if there is anything like it in them.  

I would advise you to move this question to the 'Glass' main board.  

Leni
Leni

Connie

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 09:11:22 AM »
I agree that it is not Fenton.

There were many other American glassmakers that made an opalescent stripe pattern - Northwood, Jefferson, and Hobbs, Brockuneir & Co.

I also would not refer to the pattern as Chrysanthemum, since that pattern has a ribbed pattern to the glass in the opposite direction of the slightly swirled stripe causing to have an almost cross-hatched appearance.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 10:32:04 AM »
Quote from: "grayhorse"
There were many other American glassmakers that made an opalescent stripe pattern - Northwood, Jefferson, and Hobbs, Brockuneir & Co.

:oops: Sorry, Connie!  I always forget to mention the American makers of opalescent glass!   :oops:  :roll:

Leni
Leni

Connie

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 11:33:16 AM »
That's alright, Leni - I forget about Scottish, English, French .....  :oops:

But I thought since Charlotte is in Texas, chances are her piece is American but I could be wrong  :lol:

I think we all tend to think in terms of the style of glass that we are most familiar - at least I do.  That is why I joined this board to expand my frame of reference and everyone here has sure been pushing my envelope!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand