No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID. Help Please for Onion shape Glass  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
ID. Help Please for Onion shape Glass
« on: May 21, 2008, 06:29:31 PM »
Hi Members.
                Could any one help in the ID of the heavy piece of glass i purchased today, in weighs in at 2kg 124g or 4lb 10.7/8os it has red encased in clear glass the pontil is polished with a little wear, and the glass stands 12inchs high.

I was wondering if this was Swedish am not sure? i just love this what do you think please.
                                                                                                                           Steve.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: ID. Help Please for Onion shape Glass
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 10:02:23 PM »
I think it's lovely Steve, but I have no idea who made it. It's a solid object not a vase? My first thought was a ring holder but at 12" it will be much too large for that!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:07:59 PM »
Possibly a long necked vase that went wrong?
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 11:25:38 PM »
Anne.
         I to think it's lovely but am wondering what this would be made for ? but as aa say's could it be a vase gone wrong if so would the person have carried on with it and not scrapped it?.

It is finished to well for that i am thinking, if any one as any other idea's please voice your opinions as i am very interested, the place i got this as got lots of good glass and i am due to meet the owner some fine fenton carnival  plates from  the 70s and 80s, also some nice Whitefriar's it's like an Aladins cave   :hiclp:
                                        Steve

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 07:42:34 AM »
It's a piece of Art Glass! :D

I had a discussion with Sam Herman at Cambridge, when he was 'In Conversation' with Adam, about why Glass Artists always seem to get stuck with the 'vase' or 'bowl' shape, and he felt that it was simply the fact that a blown piece of glass forms a bubble, so you either end up with one shape or the other and it's difficult to see how that could be any different. 

So the Glass Artist who made this sculpture has produced something which looks to our eye like a 'vase'!  But it's actually just a piece of Art Glass! 

IMHO, that is  ;) 
Leni

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 08:40:51 AM »
Thank you Leni.
                      any idea how to find out where this could have been made, or because it's art glass it can be of any region? this piece has a very nice feel to it, as took pride on top of my unit in the living room, great to look at.
                                                                                                                   Steve

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 10:53:43 PM »
It suggests Scandinavia to me. If it were faceted, I'd say Mona Morales-Schildt, as it's about the right weight and size. I can't say I've seen a piece like this, though.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 12:08:02 AM »
cheers David.
                  i was looking at it maybe being kosta? or Eneryda? but i will have a look at your suggestion it's appreciated.
                                                                                                                                                                   Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand