No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Opaque Vase W/Molded Gold Detailing  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Blue Opaque Vase W/Molded Gold Detailing
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 06:53:33 AM »
Those are dictionary definitions, not mine. What you would measure would be the amount of light transmitted, or something similar. The three words themselves are absolutes in their strictest definitions and unrelated to colour. I'm just being a pedant about the words. Slightly and highly can't be applied to translucent - think  about it. Does highly translucent mean lets more light through or less. Highly opaque would be taken to mean lets less light through, but highly transparent would be taken to mean lets less light through.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 07:56:43 AM »
I would always say that opaque means no transmitted light, translucent that you cannot see through it but light can pass, transparent means you can see through it. In my opinion only the last can have degrees, of obscurity and would be measured in terms of neutral density and colour filtering.

It is harder to tell with gilding if it is fired or not, the best indication of original decoration although cold decoration is also found. In general cold decoration is more prone to flaking than fired gilding. A minute testing by scraping at the very edge of some gilding gives a possible answer. If it chips of cleanly it was cold and possibly later decoration. If only a surface layer scrapes off leaving some gilding bonded to the glass it is probably fired on. Note possibly and probably.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 08:08:43 AM »
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 08:13:56 AM »
So there we have it "frequency-selective absorption", I can't see it getting popular on eBay though ^-^

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 12:36:01 PM »
That doesn't address translucency, though, or the difference between translucency and transparency.  All frequency-selective absorption tells you is what color something will look (or if it transmits UV or other radiation).

...The resulting measurements may be used to determine a "translucency gradient" for the material....
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6111653.html
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand