No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Greenburg Glass: Any info??  (Read 5068 times)

Offline sarainelkins

• Members
Greenburg Glass: Any info??
« on: July 01, 2008, 06:43:28 PM »
Does anyone have info about Greenburg Glass, a USA company? I heard it was in Ohio, but that may not be correct. I have some of the bowls that a dealer told me were Greenburg bowls. He showed me  a page from an old b/w catalog, but I can't find any info about it online. Help, please.
Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Re: Greenburg Glass: Any info??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »
Are you mixing up two glass company names? Greentown Glass and Millersburg Glass? Both were Ohio based.

Try Googling Greentown Glass.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 07:58:57 PM »
Hello:

Assuming that you are talking about glass of the EAPG era, there was a Greensburg Glass Co. that operated in East Greensburg, PA from 1890 to 1892 when it reorganized. It emerged with new management as the Greensburg Glass Company, Ltd.  In 1899 it joined the National Glass Co. combine and became Factory #8 aka Greensburg Glass Works.  In 1900 the factory was sold to Standard Glass Co for a bottle works.

What pattern(s) were the bowls you were looking at? Pictures?

Trust this helps a little.

Offline sarainelkins

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:57:38 PM »
I really don't know anything about either of the companies you site, but I thank you for starting me off in the right direction to find out more. I looked in some online glass resources and found nothing with "green" in the name of the company, so I'm grateful to you. Thanks.

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 12:33:20 AM »
That might be Greensburg you're looking for.  [LINK REMOVED]

Janice

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 08:52:26 PM »
Greensburg Glass Works (in Greensburg, PA), the one Janice and Sid refer to, was bought by L.E. Smith in 1920 and some of the Greensburg patterns continued to be made by them.  Photos might help figuring out which company the dealer was referring to.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:10:28 AM »
Kristi:

Actually the factory I wrote about and the factory that Janice mentioned are not the same. There has been some confusion between them due to similarity of names.  Tom Felt, in his recent book "LE Smith Glass Company, The First One Hundred Years", clarified that the Greensburg Glass Company acquired by LE Smith (Janice's reference) was a entirely different entity and factory than the early company with the same name (my  posting).  See pages 32 to 33 of Felt for the complete details.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 02:54:16 AM »
I took a bunch of memory and logic tests today as part of a job search, and my brain must be fried.  It says right in your post that the earlier Greensburg Glass Works was bought by Standard.  Thanks for correcting me!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand