No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amethyst Beaker. (whitefriar's ?) Help Please"  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Amethyst Beaker. (whitefriar's ?) Help Please"
« on: July 05, 2008, 10:54:03 AM »
Hi.
    I have had this Glass amethyst beaker for a while now, bought it as Whitefriar's  but have been unable to trce it as yet the nearest i have found  is a ribbed tumbler M5 1949 cat, page 28 on WF .com .

This Amethyst beaker (Tumbler ?) has internal ribbing also striations, a ground out and polished pontil, the Height is 4.25" and the Diameter at the rim is 3.75".

Can or as any one seen this type of glass before it has the feel of Whitefriar but just cant find it any where, any help is much appreciated, please take a look and if you need to know anything please ask.
                                                                          Cheers
                                                                          Steve

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Amethyst Beaker. (whitefriar's ?) Help Please"
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 08:30:36 AM »
Hi Steve the pontil looks too big for the size of the piece to be W/Fs, what is the diameter of the pontil compared to the diameter oF base. JP. :sleep: PS - if the pontil covers most of the base my GUESS is Webb.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gilead

• Members
Re: Amethyst Beaker. (whitefriar's ?) Help Please"
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »
Hi JP.
        The base is 2.5" and the Pontil is 1.5" so i guess that make it most, the ribbed inside can faintly be felt the rim is also distorted on a slant, your guess is Webb, do you know any more about this king of tumbler would it have been part of a set.

Would it have come with a jug ? as any one come across these from Webb,
                                                                                                   Cheers
                                                                                                   Steve

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand