No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cameo? Glass lamp shade  (Read 1230 times)

Offline uncommonglass

• Members
Cameo? Glass lamp shade
« on: July 13, 2008, 03:44:04 PM »
This shade is 4.5 inches tall and the floral pattern is "raised" a bare fraction from the rest of the shade. I've not handled much cameo glass.   The small opening is about 1 inch.  The green shading isn't painted on.  Might it be french origins?  (very hard to see in photos that it's raised, but I tried in the closeup)

Thanks!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Cameo? Glass lamp shade
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 03:53:17 PM »
Design is probably printed on with transfer and the material used to print is essentially pulverised glass in a flux. The green most likely stained but might be flashed.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline uncommonglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 11:34:24 PM »
Frank - Thank you so much for all your help - on this and the white one and for cheering me on with the Temple lamp part.  Alas, I did not find the right oil lamp, but dang, I didn't come home empty handed either :)  I hope you don't mind if I hug {{{you}}} :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:23:52 AM »
Lampshades are one of my interests that pre-dates my glass interest, restoring and selling lamps was my main line late 70s early 80s and in the last ten years I have been piling up catalogues of lighting glassware as well as electrical wholesalers... all in the queue for digitising. Unlike glassware design change was a lot more dynamic and more closely linked to fashion - less useful is that who made them is mostly lost as they would have been commissioned on price competition and of course styles were very widely copied. Although I am as interested in the bulbs inside the shade. http://www.debook.com/Bulbs/lightbulbs.htm another project on hold at the moment.

Offline uncommonglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 02:33:17 PM »
Oh my, another lamp addict enthusiast!  I have more lamps than I could possibly ever need, but I bring more home whenever I find them.  They need to be glass though, either the shade or the base.  But I'll also rescue spelter floor lamps when needed. :)  I'm an innocent babe compared to your knowledge, but I do know "mogul" and Mazda!

Do you think these shades were for gas or electric or could be either?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 03:40:17 PM »
Gas shades are generally smaller and oil lamp shades larger as a chimney had to fit inside. Electric shades were not really used much before say 1905 as the cost of lighting was so high that people wanted everyone to know it was electric. But by 1910 they were probably the fastest growing sector in glass after light bulbs, paradoxically the huge demand for glass-blowers triggered the demise of many glassworks as that growth continued - this was because of automation and the bulb companies own factories no longer need to outsource production. Gas shades might get used just to cover the fitting and bulb base. Gas shades with smaller holes wee uplighters, downlighters were attached to a gallery and had a large opening with a collared lip, Oil shades did not have a lip - although there are exceptions. Most of the catalogues split them into those different categories. Their are also odd shades that were used on arc lamps but they are fairly rare.

Edinburgh crystal made some weird electric shades that were flashed in colours on the outside and then silvered over the colours, I have never seen any of those.

I used to restore early rise and fall units and still have a couple waiting for some spare time. But apart from that mostly just gathering reference materials.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand