No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jadite glass swan  (Read 5161 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Jadite glass swan
« on: August 16, 2005, 11:34:40 AM »
Hello again. I've had this glass swan for a while. If I'm not very much mistaken, i've heard people refer to this bright colour as Jadite.  :?

It's hand blown and has a ground pontil mark.

:arrow: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture%20222.jpg

I'd be delighted if anybody could help me identify this swan.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 11:41:32 AM »
Not vaseline, is it?  :?  :shock:

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 11:53:13 AM »
Now that you mention it Leni, It does appear to have a vaseline style effect to it. The effect is not graduated.  :?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 08:48:46 AM »
:D  :? Hello, I'd call the whitish bit opaline, not vaseline. (I'm sure we've had the discussions on the various "vaselines" as used by different nations, though!)

Edited: not opaline at all -  :oops:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 08:56:08 AM »
You're right there Sue - pity there isn't an international standard  :wink:

I always use the term 'vaseline' to describe glass with a green or yellow citric tinge, and if it glows under UV then vaseline/uranium...
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 06:44:14 PM »
Hello again, i've been looking on ebay for opaline glass and surprisingly, i found something totally hideous with a nice price on it. The strange thing is i've got one of these hideous opaline vases in my shed and i didn't even know it.  :shock:  :o

Thanks, now i can get rid of it. Though why I kept it is beyond me.  :oops:

Prepare your sick bag, here it is.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_401.jpg

I keep confusing the vaseline glass colour with the colour of petroleum jelly (often called vaseline).

One is cream and one is glass. One heals chapped hands and one causes it.  :)

Sometimes I can't keep my hands off glass. You wouldn't believe how sore they are  :(

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 07:23:35 PM »
:D Hello Tigerchips,
I don't think your vase is opaline. Opaline is white and semi-opaque. When light shines through it, shades of blues, yellows and reds can be seen. It has a "fire".

I'm sure somebody will like your vase, (though it's not my taste either :wink: !) Perhaps with proper identification it would sell well, even better than it would with "opaline" as a keyword.

Is that a wavy piece of Mdina I see in the background, to the left?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 08:47:20 PM »
Hello Chopin-liszt.

The vase is orange when held to the light and the swan is just the same colour. There is no fire on either.

I do have something that sounds like what you have described though I always thought of it as being irridecent.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture%20403.jpg

I was told it was 1940's. It is the second one I have owned. The first one (sold) had a moulded art nouveau pattern. They are both cased.

Yes, indeed, it is a wavy Mdina vase though it is not signed. You must have good eyes for that because my picture is very dark.  :)

I also have another unsigned piece.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture%20402.jpg

This wavy pattern seems very common with Mdina. I don't now about the shapes of them though.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 11:13:00 PM »
:D:D:D
  Hi, Your lampshade is irridescent, the "oil-on-water" effect is on the outside.
I think if your swan glows orange when held up to the light, then that is what I'd call opalesence. The very gentle colours come from inside it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 12:18:51 AM »
It isn't a lampshade, it's a flower holder. The metal part is the grid for holding flowers. I guess I should take higher photograph's.  :)

When I said "the swan is just the same colour", I meant that it was the same colour as when it isn't under the light. Only the vase glows orange.

Sorry about the misundertanding.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand