No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Satin glass cat  (Read 1304 times)

Offline grandma

• Members
Satin glass cat
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »
I have a fabulous glass cat which I am sure is Murano but wondered if anyone could throw any light on the maker.  This cat is just over 26 cm (10.25")  and weighs a huge 1750g.  The finish is a silky smooth slippery satin - it looks like a frosted block of ice.  The inner core is a deep blue.  The face has been applied.  I can't find a signature anywhere.  Thanks   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Satin glass cat
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 04:21:34 PM »
I was pretty sure that cat had been on this board before, but I can't find it.  :huh: So maybe I'm imagining it.  ::)

Somehow I'm getting 'v.nason' for this piece...and I'm sure it's in a book somewhere, but I can't find it.  Altogether, I'm not much use, am I?    :'(

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:43:35 AM »
Hi: #2 is scavo glass, which was developed in Murano to imitate the look of Roman glass that had lain buried for many years. Barbini and Cenedese did a lot of it, but this piece doesn't remind of anythign I've seen from them. I seem to remember someone, Ivo,  I think, saying that Egypt produced a great of scavo now. You might want to search threads under scavo.

Is the surface of the cat mottled, as if it's been partly eaten away by acid? If so, it's a corroso finish. Barbini used corroso and also did animals, including cats very much like this one. I'm not certain, particulalry as Max thinks it might be Nason, but I'll look in a few books. You might try googling Barbini cats and see what emerges.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:04:52 AM »
I looks similar to the oy Kumala cat by Armando Jacobino,  particularly the face but i havnt seen them with a matt finish . jp

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:13:02 AM »
JP: Do the Jacobino cats have a different colour core like this? That's what made be think Barbini. But then I'm presuming it's corroos, and it could just as well be a satin finish.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:40:52 AM »
I have seen them in aubergine cased in clear the eyes and nose Aubergine the Aubergine looks almost black .
 same shape but no tail and about 16 cms tall

Hi Max i mentioned one on the forum in December it was on ebay if you punch in 180315329008 it is still there . QUICK.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand