No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance Brothers information  (Read 9881 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »
Thanks Sue.  Yes, this one is a "cut above" the usual handkerchief vases, but it's the intaglio pattern I'm most keen to know about. ... to try and find out if it is one of the designs by Geoffrey Baxter before he went to Whitefriars.I think it is possibly not as it is a bit too "classic" for his style, but..you never know!!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Chance Brothers information
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 07:30:37 PM »
I saw this on the WF.com board...I think it's fascinating - I'd love to see it in the flesh.   :)
I am not a man

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 08:56:55 AM »
:D
Miller's Collectables 2005 (p.306) shows an intaglio cut handkerchief vase, ruby flashed, horizontal cuts, 7" tall, describing it as rare and '60's. It is priced at £120-140, compared to ordinary vases that size priced, for a '50's one with red spots, £70-80; for an orange stripey '60's one, £80-90.
These do not ever seem to reach the heady heights of the prices quoted by Miller.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 09:09:37 AM »
Sue, I think the Miller's prices can be taken with a pinch of salt, but this would explain why the prices for them have been so high recently – I sold a white one a few weeks ago with slight nibble on the rim for £22, whereas they were previously £5-10.

But like many collectable pieces, these can also be subject to trends; I remember watching the Murano end-of-day fishes suddenly reaching stupid prices (£70 upwards) last year, before they went back lower than the market price had been previously dictating. Even now they can picked up for less than £10. I think this wild fluctuation was entirely due to a single TV programme pricing them up...

These trends also seem to be far more shorter-lived (often just a matter of months) now that eBay dominates the market.

Regarding the 'intaglio' effect, I would have thought all the patterned ones could be called this couldn't they, due to the process used?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 09:30:25 AM »
:D
Hello David, The intaglio ones are actually cut, through a layer of coloured glass to the clear. The other ones are transfer printed. They're quite, quite different. :D
I was just using Miller to give an example of a comparison of the intaglio and the transfer printed ones, as it was the only place I could find one. It did give dates, though. The intaglio piece they show is stated to be '60's, while some transfer printed ones are described as '50's.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 09:41:06 AM »
I'm still working from the 2004 book!  :oops:

However, I always thought intaglio was a printing process but I can see why the similarity in definition occured. It actually means 'to carve' in Italian... so (in a Brummie acent) "I'll get me coat" *

* Fast Show c.2000
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 11:20:18 AM »
Hi all, thanks for the debate.  It is definitely intaglio, which according to my Glass Fact file by Ivo, is "a decoration cut below the glass surface." The one I illustrated has a bevelled clear glass edge which then leads into the white outer layer(kind of cased) and the pattern is cut through the white to show the clear below.  It is in pristine, mint, fab condition (as is the tray) and if I decide to sell it on e-bay, it'll have a high reserve.  If it's at a fair, well, who knows?  I sold a black and white pop art small handkerchief vase for over £50 not long ago(transfer printed), and this white intaglio one is 8" high and 7" wide approx.  The transfer printed ones, although pretty and quirky, and I have a lot and love them to bits,are by comparison to this white one quite inferior. I agree that Miller's price guides are to be taken with a large packet of salt, and these books ARE described as "guides" , however a unique and special item will always find its right level unless there's a total world wide depression, God forbid!!  Anyway, if anyone goes to the Smethwick venue and is able to glean some interesting chance information, hopefully it will appear here!  Byeee

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 11:51:04 AM »
If this intaglio set was mine, I wouldn't sell it right now, unless it was imperative.  IMHO this is the sort of item that will be appreciating enormously soon.  Frankly, I'd wait and acheive a better price later!   :wink:  :D
I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2005, 12:04:12 PM »
Quote from: vidrioguapo
I sold a black and white pop art small handkerchief vase for over £50 not long ago(transfer printed)

That's an excellent price! I would just like to point out that mine was also transfer-printed as well and not intaglio: a simple white check design...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/dencill/chance-white.jpg

Not sure whether you'd be right about waiting, though Max. The trends in some collecting areas are so rapid these days it's often best to seize the moment. However, time will tell and Chance (Pilkington) glass may well become a revelation in collecting terms.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 02:49:52 PM »
David