No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fortex and Anchor marks  (Read 2722 times)

Offline lefse

• Members
Fortex and Anchor marks
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:47:58 AM »
Hello everyone!

I am new to this board. Have been collecting glass net floats and doing some research about the floats' makers. In most of the cases glassworks producing bottles made fishing floats as well.
Here is a 'Fortex' marked glass float. It is believed by some collectors to be made in Scotland at the beginning of the 20th century. I really would like to know anything on the history of the maker and dates of manufacturing. Would really appreciate any info.

Another glass float's marking that I am looking forward to find out more about is the 'B Anchor Y' on a three piece molded glass float. There is a number 5 located under the anchor.

And here is another 'Anchor' the origin of which is believed to be British.

It would be very exciting to obtain any information on the makers of these glass floats. I really appreciate your time! Thanks in advance.
By the way, here is the link to a quite informative website on European Glass floats makers' marks: http://norwayfloat.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Fortex and Anchor marks
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 11:41:25 AM »
I hace contacted the source of the attribution to Scotland and it is not substantiated, so the options remain wide open.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 04:46:08 AM »
Hi and welcome to the board.  You might find this topic of interest as well:  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4049.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline seahermit

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 12:48:52 AM »
Hello lefse:  Great to find another collector who is trying hard to find the history of glass fishing float markings.  I just wanted to let you know that with the editing help of Angela, I have posted a new article to the Glass Museum site: "Glass Fishing Floats".  I have written this article for those who know little or nothing about these floats, as well as for knowledgeable collectors and students of glass. It is my hope that the readers and collectors might be able to help me reveal and share the history of the makers of the floats. 
Over the years I have been fortunate to have made the acquaintance of some very serious collectors of bottles,etc. who in their hunts, have found glass floats, and who also have a tremendous knowlege of glass history.  It is my hope to meet people who have and wish to share knowledge with me, and all of the other people who are seasoned, new or who have not yet begun to collect glass floats. :huh:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 01:16:26 AM »
For anyone who'd like to read the new article on the Glass Museum website, you will find it here:
http://www.theglassmuseum.com/fishingfloats.htm - it's well worth reading and has lots of photos to enjoy as well.  :clap:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand