No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut glass fruit bowl - Edwardian?  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
Cut glass fruit bowl - Edwardian?
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:07:29 PM »
Another lovely bowl found on my recent trawl of charity shops.  I bought this simply because I liked the look and because it had an old feel to it.  I would love to have some hints to dating it, maybe the pattern is typical of a particular era?  I think it is wheel cut, but I have very little experience in cut glass so probably I am wrong :)

I also found a vase in a similar style which I will post separately.

It would be great if anyone could talk me through what to look for to date particular pieces.  Thanks :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Cut glass fruit bowl - Edwardian?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:25:34 PM »
You're right about this and your vase being wheel cut, probably with copper wheels.  Copper wheel engraving employed wheels in a wide range of sizes, from pin-head to several centimeters, and were used with a slurry of oil mixed with grit (pumice in the old days, now carborundum) of various grades that did the actually grinding.  There were also stone wheels employed and later diamond-embedded wheels; these generally remove material faster but don't achieve the same sharp details that copper wheels can.

Sorry I can't help with dates or makers.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
Re: Cut glass fruit bowl - Edwardian?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:34:17 AM »
Hi Kristi

Thanks for that, it is really interesting.  I should imagine it to be quite a dangerous job too, with glass shards flying about if anything goes wrong.  Would copper wheel engraving be earlier than diamond embedded wheels then, or did they carry on for the quality even when the technology had moved on? 

I would still love to have a rough idea of the date for this if anyone else has any thoughts?  Any links to good websites with guides to dating?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand