No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass copy of Cullinan Diamond?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Grumpy

• Members
Glass copy of Cullinan Diamond?
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:28:47 PM »
I have, what I believe, to be a glass copy of the Cullinan Diamond.  It belonged to my Grandmother who died a number of years ago, so have no information on it at all.  There are no markings on it.  It is approx 10cm long and 6cm high and approx 1lb in weight (apologies if it turns out to be a paperweight!).  Could it have been memorabilia for King Edward VII?  Unfortunately I can't get the picture low enough in KB to attach (bit of a technophobe, so if anyone knows how I can, please let me know - have tried compressing the photo, but still too high).  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
Re: Glass copy of Cullinan Diamond?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:46:47 PM »
I am not thoroughly at home with technology myself, but I can tell you how I post photos :)

I have downloaded Picassa free from Google and all my photos are arranged neatly in it (the programme does that not me).  It has a facility to email photos, and automatically resizes them to do so.  My dad takes the photos, emails them to me through picassa from his computer, I save them into a file on my computer then upload them using the attach button below each post.

I hope that makes sense, and with any luck someone with more technical know how will come along and tell you how to do it properly :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 12:10:59 AM »
To get photos into shape for uploading to the board (or GlassGallery - see below), it is best to Crop the important part out of the original image and then Resize the cropped version to a maximum of 600 pixels wide / high. That will drop the Kb size from Megabytes to Kilobytes, but it will still probably be over 300Kb. Optimising the result to "lower quality" will then bring it within the limits for an upload here.

If you have not already seen it, there is a "Techie Tip" in the forum for "Board Information & Announcements", called "Posting Pictures - Guidelines and how to":
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html
That message gives some help on what to do with pics for uploading to this board or placing in the GlassGallery (a purpose-built site for use of GMB folk).

Also, there is a clickable button in that message for "Irfanview" which is a simple-to-use application for edting photos. It was put together to cater for the basics of photo editing (like resizing, cropping and optimising) and is one of the most user-friendly, no-frills, free-download applications to be found on the web - and it does not tie in to unwanted ads or other irrelevant stuff.

But yes, other apps such as Picassa can do the job quite easily, too.
KevinH

Offline Grumpy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 01:02:40 AM »
I have, what I believe, to be a glass copy of the Cullinan Diamond.  It belonged to my Grandmother who died a number of years ago, so have no information on it at all.  There are no markings on it.  It is approx 10cm long and 6cm high and approx 1lb in weight (apologies if it turns out to be a paperweight!).  Could it have been memorabilia for King Edward VII? 

Found a file to make pictures smaller on another computer, so here's hoping it works!
Haven't found how to edit the original message, so trying it this way.

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 07:47:57 AM »
There certainly were replicas of the Cullinan diamond made as shown on this page here

http://www.hereorthere.com/members/kath_visits/experience/978  if you scroll down there is a picture half way down the page.  If you look on google images and search for Cullinan diamond there are quite a few close ups too.

There is always the chance that it is simply a big lump of cullet or scrap glass :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 12:44:44 PM »
Littleblackhen said:
There certainly were replicas of the Cullinan diamond made as shown on this page here

http://www.hereorthere.com/members/kath_visits/experience/978 

And the Voortrekker Monument also pictured there is pressed into a Chance glass ashtray that I gave David Encill.   :D  (Page 30, Chance Expressions)
I am not a man

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 04:56:24 PM »
David PEncil ?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand