No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Just for fun - Glass Animals  (Read 715 times)

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Just for fun - Glass Animals
« on: October 06, 2008, 01:59:05 AM »
Just for fun I thought I would pass along a couple pictures of some small (one to two inch) glass animals I purchased for my mother's birthday in either 1948 or 1949.  The store was J.J. Newberry's in Elsworth, Maine and I well remember buying them as that was the year I had a whole fifty cents to spend.  The larger animals, the dog, the walrus with two little seals balancing balls on their noses, and the penguins were a dime each, while the two small birds each cost a nickle.   

The decision was agonizing, both for myself and the poor clerk who undoubtedly had visions of the crazy little kid bumping something and smashing her entire display. At any rate, when I found them in my mother's things the other day it was hard to believe, not only that she had kept them, but that they had survived unbroken after all these years.

Clicking on the thumbnails will enlarge them.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Just for fun
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 04:25:54 AM »
Those are sweet.  I especially like the big penguin.  All that for 50 cents, eh?  You made out well.

You should put "glass animals" in the title so people who might be interested will see it (or is that a job for a moderator?)

I couldn't open the lower photo.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand