No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Well it is Halloween!!  (Read 4470 times)

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: Well it is Halloween!!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
he´s selling these dishes regularly, which makes me think they are rather recent
and he´s kind of importing them from tibet. the serpentine vessel varies in colour.

perhaps you should consider to take your ´glas´ to a mineral store. there are other
possibilities than serpentine - from soapstone to jade... :-\
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 08:55:20 PM »
Dirk,
This one has real age to it, the ware to the base mark shows it has been cleaned for many years.
Martyn,
I tried your test and it did leave a white line, but I also did the same to an old soapstone figure i had and that also left a similar line. In saying that I think it has been more or less proved now that it isn't made of glass.
Thanks for your efforts,
Bryn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 10:15:22 PM »
Could be horn, possibly yak's horn, as I recall reading somewhere that nothing was wasted when a yak was slaughtered.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 10:24:28 AM »
Bryn, you´re right - yours looks much older and much better elaborated.

just one further thought: could that skeleton thingy be a stylized animal
and a chinese letter at the same time?
don´t know, if there are any chinese letters that symmetrical.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 11:08:45 AM »
I'm sure this is a complete irrelevance but the animal decoration thing reminds me a little of the Nazca lines in Peru...

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 10:20:47 PM »
I was thinking the same thing as Pip (and also thought it probably irrelevant, but it's interesting that it occurred to us both).  Peru has a large Chinese population, too. 

That's a strange looking rock, if that's what it is!  It also occurred to me that the Chinese are pretty good at making fake rock.  The "scratch test" does seem to rule out glass, but my dad has a quite realistic piece of "amber" made out of some kind of epoxy resin or something.

Interesting that the green seems to bulge out a little around the middle horizontal metal band, similar to the way blown glass bulges out around a metal frame.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 12:30:50 AM »
Base mark reads 'Long Zhi' (thanks to my OH, Zhang Jie), probably a part 'Qianlong Nian Zhi' seal mark (meaning Qianlong period made) but this is looks to be a twentieth century piece. The stylised animal/ skeleton design could be a Character but if so it is in an archaic style and neither of us recognise it.

Steven

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in replying, i was away from home for most of yesterday and did not get the usual email reminder.
Thanks for all your suggestions, especially the translation. I spoke to my antique dealer friend who discribed it as being fronm the late nineteenth/ early twentieth century, Chinese, and probably made frome Jadeite.
Bryn.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 08:31:03 PM »
I'm sorry, this thing is kind of nagging at me.  I'm not quite convinced this is jadeite, or any kind of stone.  How hard was it to scratch, and what did you use?  Jadeite's pretty hard.  And the banding seems pretty funky.

If you have a chance, could you show a photo of the inside, facing toward the little guy on the front (so you see the back of that area)?

A big part of the reason I'm suspicious is that the Chinese make so much fake old stuff.  I mean, it says it's from the Qianlong Dynasty!  And they make tons of "Tibetan" stuff.  Like here's a "Tibetan" bronze urn that I bet you anything was made in China within the last five years.  Same seller has a bunch of silver and jade stuff, and I really highly doubt it's jade.

The serpentine bowl from German ebay - that's a huge chunk of very uniformly colored serpentine - not!  I don't believe it for a second.

I'm into rocks, you see, so this thing has me pretty curious.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 09:28:48 PM »
Hi Kristi,
I'll get a photo done for you in te morning. I just returned from the hospital having where I enjoyed an injecion in my only good eye!!! having suffered a nasty old infection.Those doctors really know how to make you feel worse!!Not recommended.
I used an old needle to scratch the inner surface of the goblet? but the antique guy took a scissers point to it and it left a fair old white mark, which completely disappeared when he wiped it with a damp cloth.
The little guy appears on both sides of item, in fact the other side still he retains a bit of a silver shine.
The base really looks as if it has been over rubbed, but it does seem strange why that area is had the treatment because it would have been out of sight anyway.
Anyway I will get back to you in the morning. Please excuse any bad grammer as my vision is not too good hopefully it will be better tomorrow.
Cheers,
Bryn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand