No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass decanter maker's marks  (Read 8083 times)

Offline junkmailforblankets

• Members
Glass decanter maker's marks
« on: November 09, 2008, 03:07:18 AM »
Hi there. I'm new and trying to find help identifying the maker and any other information about a glass decanter that I found. It's glass, I think, rectangular with angled corners, and etched floral patterns on all sides. There is a silver base on it as well as a silver collar(?) around the neck. The stopper is cork with what appears to be a cherub on top. I've found some identifying marks. On top of the stopper, there's a diamond with the letters T.H. inside. Next to that are four symbols, each inside a circular shape. The symbols are, in order, a lion in profile with its head to the left, a lower-case "i," an upper-case "F," and what appears to be a devil's head with daggers criss-crossed through the head. Those same marks are on the bottom etched into the silver. The only other markings I see is a line of four more symbols etched into the silver. They are, in order, a collection of three small shapes, almost hay bale looking, a fleur de lys, something that resembles the head of a flower, and, finally, something that looks like a pine cone. The silver around the glass is decorated with woodlands/pastoral scenes.

Thanks so much for any help anyone can offer.

Jeremy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Re: Glass decanter maker's marks
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:48:08 AM »
Theodor Hartmann

See TH section on this site below...
http://www.silvercollection.it/Englishsilvermarks3.html

I think this item dates to 1904.

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 01:24:13 PM »
Thank you so much for the quick help!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 04:11:07 PM »
That is of course the silver fittings, not the glass manufacturer. The glass may not even be English

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 05:02:29 PM »
Oh, I didn't consider that. Is there any way of telling, any identifying mark that even the untrained eye can discern, that would help in figuring out the provenance of the glass?

Thanks so much,
Jeremy

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 05:58:07 PM »
I was browsing silver marks in the early hours of this morning - using http://www.925-1000.com - and could not find an entry for "TH" that would tie in with the rest of the marks. Since the "TH" was in a diamond, or lozenge, I suspected it could be French, but that led nowhere either.

Tiger's link to the "sivercollection" site does seem to make sense. No doubt many silver marks sites and books do not include entries for importers. The shape of the shield for the Standard mark is correct for London as is the shape and font for the "i" mark, which is 1904.

The "F" in an oval cartouche indicates "Foreign" and this also ties in with work coming into London through an importer. I have no idea what the "skull and crossbones" mark means. Whether the imported work would have been just the silver or the full item with the bottle in place is something else I have no idea about. Maybe the whole thing was made in Germany, and maybe not!

But the odd thing is the other set of marks. The "town" mark appears to be for Newcastle in Britain, which could not tie in properly with the other marks being London 1904 because the last marks for Newcastle were for 1883/4! All the other marks in that set make no sense, as far as I can see, for British work and I could not find equivalents in the lists of "other countries" in the "925-1000" site. (But as I said, it was in the early hours when I looked!)

Do the second set of marks appear on a section of metal that also has the first set? If so, perhaps the "Newcastle" mark is not what I thought and it may need a throurgh search of German (or other) marlks to identify properly.
KevinH

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 07:14:40 PM »
Interesting piece!  Nice silver.  Looks like the glass is engraved.  If you happen to have a photo of the engraving handy, could you please post it?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 07:59:43 PM »
Thanks for the investigative work, Kevin. On the rim of the stopper, there are the TH mark and the row of four symbols that match the TH mark and four symbols on the bottom of the bottle. The row of four symbols that includes the fleur de lys is on the bottom on the side opposite the TH and four symbols.

And I've attached a photo of the etchings. The etchings on the broad side match front and back, and the etchings on the sides match each other. Also, and I don't know whether this is standard, the silver banding covers up some of the etching, which makes me wonder whether the two were meant for each other.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 09:47:19 PM »
They are related...
http://www.silvercollection.it/849AAAINGLESE.jpg

Perhaps it is the mark of K. Kurz of Kesselstadt, Germany?

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 09:55:49 PM »
That's it!

"Karl Kurz Silberwarenfabrik: Kesselstadt, end of 19th century; Its English Agent/Importer was Theodor Hartmann registered in London and Sheffield"
http://www.silvercollection.it/germansilverhallmarks4.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand