No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Whisky Jar?  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Early Whisky Jar?
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 09:57:59 PM »
Kristi, candy wouldn't have been measured in quarts. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 12:57:29 AM »
No, but you can't have gradations of weight on something like this to measure candy, either.  Hypothetically speaking, the volume gradations could have serve as approximations for weight when dishing out something like candy.

I haven't seen the cologne dispensers Ivo is talking about, but the glass urns, whiskey barrels, samovars, etc. that I've seen all had taps much smaller than the tube sticking out of this piece, and it seems odd that this one's so big.  Anyone with knowledge of different kinds of taps that might be suitable here?

please do not treat this as a guessing game.
  What is the standard here?  Some guesses are okay and some aren't?  Or is it that some people's guesses are okay, and others' aren't?  What's the problem with suggesting alternatives, even if they end up being wrong?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 12:59:21 AM »
The best guess appears to be a whisky dispenser used in the brewery trade – any other suggestions?

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 05:46:19 AM »
Another guess - what if the gradations are used when mixing things, rather than for measuring how much is poured?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 07:52:21 AM »
It was something served or sold in half pints. Possibly a soft drink like still lemonade or squash for the ladies. The large aperture may have been so you could give "it" a stir if it settled. Relatively large volume measures, larger tap for faster dispensing. Also, ready mixed cocktails both alcoholic and non-alcoholic were popular in the 1930s. See Silver Jubilee programme for 1935; there were 39 varieties of cocktail. We think alocopops are new(ish)!

I think we can rule out spirits.

Sweets came in large glass glass jars or boxes and were sold by number, weight or paper cone full. I think we can rule out sweets as well.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 08:01:49 AM »

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 12:49:44 PM »
Back to the soft drinks thought, that would fit in nicely with a sweetshop. After all you could go to the offsales dept of a pub with a jug for beer and have it filled, the same as you could go to the shop or the icecream man with a bowl for icecream

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »
I would not rule out spirits, gin was certainly sold by the quart into your own containers

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »
There you go - ready mixed cocktails!   Making them would much easier with gradations on the tank and a large opening to stir the mix.  Or fountain drinks?  Would they have come in concentrate?

This is a pretty piece.  It was made to look good and display the contents nicely.  Being only a gallon, it seems like if it were made to refill pint and quart bottles of liquor on a commercial basis, it would empty pretty quickly.  And why not pour that from the bottle or cask or whatever it came in?
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 03:25:32 PM »
Given the history of the item - the enquirer's grandmother's off-licence - it would suggest an alcoholic drink of some sort, but the wide opening to allow the contents to be stirred is a good point, I feel. Surely a liquid dispenser.

On the original forum, an American soda fountain was suggested (here, about half-way down), but was there ever something like that in Britain?

Would identifying the country of manufacture, or the style of glass cutting, be of help?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand