No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vetro Artistico Veneziano  (Read 14497 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Vetro Artistico Veneziano
« on: September 06, 2005, 07:07:43 PM »
Hi

I have a fair few of these bowls - sold some on eBay, kept most - for some reason many seemed to have turned up in Scotland?

Amazing quality in varied shapes (seaform) - all using triple layer with gold and silver aventurine - these bits seem to keep their labels well and it's nice to have most with even slightly worn ones - label says 'Hand Made Genuine Venetian glass - Made in Murano Italy, Vetro Artistico Veneziano'

I have not seen many with labels on ebay or at auctions - maybe I don't get out enough LOL

I am sure you all have loads of these, but any history would be appreciated - I can still buy the larger bits (1.5k+) for under £20.00 - good investment?

I am not completely sure of age but they feel so 60's

http://tinypic.com/dfgml4.jpg x 3

http://tinypic.com/dfh6w0.jpg x 3

Thanks

Adam D555 :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 08:44:47 PM »
Good thing that these Scots keep the labels on so you don't have to ask around who made them.
The two that have no label bear a strong resemblance to the beige ones that used to turn op here a lot - and which I have found several times with a label "Zwiesel Farbglashütte".  Even with that label the salesperson will insist it is Murano! So here is my guess: labels on the underside survive, labels on the inside of ashtrays do not.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 09:24:34 PM »
That is a good point Ivo

All the labels are on the quite large round flat bases of these bowls or on a flat part near the base (those are best condition)

I have found that companies (not just Murano) that put labels on the inside or surface have had those labels come away over time - this company could easily have placed a label on surface but did not - also they are thick foil and glued on like nothing else LOL

Adam D555
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 05:00:23 PM »

I'm confused ....again !!! (its a common occurrence !)
Is this label just another generic retailer or importer label ?

Vetro Artistico Veneziano sounds as though it could be a company name
Murano Magic lists one called "Vetri Artistici Muranesi Societa per Azioni" a bit longer granted. Anyhow that closed in 1947.
I don't know how comprehensive or up-to-date the book is.

Or is it just another flowery way to say Murano Glass ?
The translation would be: Artistic Ventetian Glass

If a retailer or importer label I wonder if it could be associated with a particular Murano company or group of companies. I think it would be unusual for one retailer / importer to represent or buy from more than half a dozen at most at a time.
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 05:49:10 PM »
VAMSA

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 06:40:48 PM »
Well, sorry if I am being slow, but no.
I can see that its the acronym of the name you quoted and I can see from Murano Magic that Barbini was the Maestro there from 1937-44.
But apart from one piece shown in the book I have never seen anything else attributed to this compnay specifically and am hard put to think of anywhere I have ever even come across the name on or offline, till now.
Ooops Laura mentioned it in her posting of  Sep 29, 2005 6:08 pm

BUT that doesn't really advance our knowledge of Vetro Artistico Veneziano labels ......or does it ? Are you saying there's a connection ???
and that Adam.s piece are late 30s and 40s vintage ? ......Really ?????????????????!

So..................
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 09:44:22 PM »
You're the one who dropped Vamsa (a famous outfit, honestly!) into the conversation, but they do not seem to have any relation Vetro Artistico Veneziano.   :roll:

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 11:04:08 PM »
Vetro Artistico Veneziano sounds as though it could be a company name
Merely to illustrate that words such as vetri / vetro, artistici/ artistico,  Veneziano / Muranese are used as part of company names that's all !!!

I'm trying to say that it's sometimes difficult to know whether these words should be taken as names or as adjectives.
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 07:16:00 AM »
In any case it is nice to know that "Veneziano" refers to Venice, and as you know there is no glass production in Venice itself, only refineries. The glass makers are concentrated in Murano. So if you run into glass with a "venice"sticker - think decorator, think Chinese import, be suspicious.  :D

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 06:12:28 PM »
Good Point Ivo Thank you

The two that have no label bear a strong resemblance to the beige ones that used to turn op here a lot - and which I have found several times with a label "Zwiesel Farbglashütte".

Like this one ?

Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand