No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: cameo cut large vase, anyone know who made it?  (Read 2122 times)

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
cameo cut large vase, anyone know who made it?
« on: December 18, 2008, 08:37:12 PM »
Here are many clickable images :) there are three remaining bits of gold enamel on the base, one looks like a three the other two are blobs. So does anyone know who made it? I can think of a few likely suspects but that's just conjecture. It's 16" tall and the base is about 6 inches wide.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: cameo cut large vase, anyone know who made it?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 08:45:12 PM »
It's pretty, but is it cameo? It looks like it's just enamelled from the photos...  :)

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:51:02 PM »
it isn't. it is heavily enameled over the cuts but they are there. if you look at the enlarged pic here I think you'll be able to see it

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg172/thefiresidecat/dec%2018th/1218068.jpg

enlarged this next pic also shows it, it has an unenameled glass frond that's very tiny showing

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg172/thefiresidecat/dec%2018th/1218055.jpg

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:55:40 PM »
French, maybe Legras?  Whether it's cameo depends on your definition of the term.  Most I've seen include
multiple layers of contrasting colors (or clear and colored) as part of the definition.  "Acid cutback" might be more appropriate or widely accepted (it's etched, not cut).
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:05:52 PM »
I used the term cameo cut, which I thought meant simply that the design was raised rather than lowered in opposition to cameo glass which was cut with at least two layers.

I had been thinking mont joye/legras for this. the person I bought it from was attributing it to honesdale, which I think is also plausible.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »

Yes, I agree with Kristi, acid cut-back, leaving a raised overlay colour - often relatively thin.

Sorry, I can't suggest a maker, but a nice looking piece :)

Nigel

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 02:45:58 AM »
I don't think acid cut-back has the same connotation of multiple glass layers that cameo has.  I have seen cameo used for non-layered (cut, usually) glass, but I think in general these days it does imply it.  Once again, the terminology is inexact and variable.

In this instance, I would say cameo cut is definitely a misnomer, since it's etched.

I'd be surprised if it's Honesdale.  The giant ground pontil would be unusual for American glass, and it seems like Honesdale's work was generally more stylized. 

I agree, it's a lovely piece!  You manage to find a lot of gems, I'm envious!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 07:32:14 AM »
I see where I got the term from when I was reading for something else tonight, on page 32 of the truitts bohemian glass 1915-1945 it says "if the background glass is removed and the design is raised above the surface it is termed cameo engraving, if the design is cut into the surface it's termed intaglio engraving" So from what I had read there, I should have said cameo engraving according to this resource. 

I tend to generalize though..

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »
......and if you go to their other book 'Collectable Bohemian Glass' 1880-1945'

and look at Harrach you'll see some quite similar pieces -but not identical

As soon as I saw this -I thought the shade of green was wrong for Legras - and more like Harrach

If I was a betting man I'd say Harrach,  but I'm far from certain

cheers

Mike

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 06:32:53 PM »
I see where I got the term from when I was reading for something else tonight, on page 32 of the truitts bohemian glass 1915-1945 it says "if the background glass is removed and the design is raised above the surface it is termed cameo engraving, if the design is cut into the surface it's termed intaglio engraving" So from what I had read there, I should have said cameo engraving according to this resource. 

I tend to generalize though..

My main qualm with calling this cameo engraved or cameo cut is that the removal of glass was done by etching.  Truitts do use the term "acid cut-back" to describe etched Moser pieces (e.g. pg. 91, first book) where the design is proud of the background.  Some books, older ones especially, use the term "acid engraved" for etched work.  These days, in the US at any rate, the vast majority of collectors, authors and dealers make a distinction between cut/engraved and etched (unless they can't tell the difference).

I personally also feel that describing intaglio as "the design is cut into the surface" is inexact since that definition could be applied to any cutting or engraving that doesn't leave the design in relief.  I don't have that book, so I can't see the context.  (It also grates on me when pressed pieces of a certain type are called intaglio, except where that is the name of the pattern.)

Maybe I'm being too pedantic - wouldn't be the first time! ::) ;D
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand