No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech Candelabrum  (Read 1822 times)

Sklounion

Re: Czech Candelabrum
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »
Jindrich,

We are talking of two very different types of iridising. As you say, I have high-lighted the use of low-vacuum cold iridising, a process developed by LGW, (Lleinauer Glaswaren). However this technique would not have been used in the period when Glen's candlestick was made. There is no definitive date of when Czech glassworks appear to start using this technique, but
all the evidence suggests shortly before privatisation.

Sublime Deco, Glen's fabulous candle-stick, is a classic  example of hot stannous salt iridised glass, and as such, fluouric acid frosting could be used to further enhance the item.

If fluouric acid salts were used on the first type of item, such as the Brabec wood-grain plate, the iridised finish would have been removed as the coating is not burnt in.

You perhaps have not fully understood, that when I spoke of the experimental items, I was referring to low-vacuum iridising, and not hot iridising, a technique used at Libochovice before 1939.

Regards,

Marcus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 11:05:11 AM »
Thanks, Marcus, for your input - much appreciated.

Jindrich, I will try and present the facts as I know them.

My iridised single stem Deco candlestick (Libochovice catalogue number 1224) was purchased by me in Vienna in March, 2004. I am aware of two iridised examples of the double candlestick (Libochovice catalogue number 1686). One of them is in a private collection and was purchased within the past 4 years. The other is in a loan collection at Broadfield House and has been there for some considerable time.

In March, 2006 I made contact with Libs via their website www.shl.cz (no longer active). I showed them a photo of my candlestick and asked for confirmation of production as they had two very similar candlesticks on their website (one was 1686 the double stick, the other was 1396, a single stick with floral motifs).

I received email confirmation from them on March 21, 2006, stating that my candlestick (1224) was indeed their production: quote "really very old design" - a probable time line of 1930s for the production of that item was also given. My understanding was that the single stick (1224) was not currently in their line and hadn't been for some time. I was also given an affirmation that they were not currently iridising.

Further information provided in the email was that they were currently producing the double stick (1686). It was  shown on their website in part frosted finish.

Jindrich, you asked for a link to the Libs people, who I contacted. As noted above I made contact via their (then) active website. The email that was sent to me in return was from Marketa Ladisova from Sklarska Hut s.r.o., Rokycanova 368, Libochovice. I apoplogise for not being able to write the names with all the appropriate accents.

As a final addition to the mention of vacuum iridising, I have some photos and explanations about that here:
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/LGW.html

Hope this helps.
GT
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »
Thank you Marcus for explanation and Glen for contact details.

I will try to find this lady in our yellow pages, phone her and to get the maximum from her.

Jindrich

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 10:13:43 PM »
Wow, fab candlesticks!  The iridized one is gorgeous.  So satinizing with fluoric acid doesn't remove the coating, that's interesting.  (You can tell I know zip about carnival glass!)
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand