No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pair of Cut Glass Vases  (Read 2343 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Pair of Cut Glass Vases
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:33:24 PM »
This is no place for a debate over the relative merits of Anglo-Irish vs. American cut glass, but it seems to me Glass has a rather Anglocentric perspective of the industry and consequently her ideas about these vases.  So, a few comments/questions...

Ah the American brilliant period 1880 to 1915, basically British Georgian Regency copy's with different pattern cutting. LOL.

Hardly!  The glass was usually thicker and therefore could be more deeply cut, most of the dominant motifs were different and more ornate, and the patterns often combined many motifs on one piece, totally covering it.  And although American cutting houses adapted some English and Irish Regency motifs during the period, according to Daniel's Cut and Engraved Glass American output then far surpassed English and Irish production and little was imported, so you could just as easily say that ABP copied Early American Period designs (though that isn't really true, either).

Cut glass has been produced in England and Ireland and America since 1780. Cut glass had progressed at a fast rate with the best machinery and the most highly skilled glass cutters in the world based in the UK ...and some of those cutters emigrated to the US.  I don't know about the machinery - how did it differ from that used in the US? By the 1820s rich cut crisp British crystal glass from this period is the best in the world with the rest of the world to follow.  Some say the American lead glass of this time has greater clarity. There is plenty of simple cut glass during the late Georgian period but there is also lots of Georgian glass cut deep and with intrigate patterns. These vases are not typical Victorian or Edwardian style  They certainly are! due to the quality of the cutting  I don't understand your point about the quality at all.  There was a lot of high-quality cutting done in the late 19th/early 20th C. and have a strong Georgian  American influence.  Don't you just love the British xx

By the way, fire polishing has been used on some glass for over 200 years.  Has it been used to polish cuttings for that long?  I thought most pre-1900 cut glass was hand-polished, but I would be very interested to know if that's not the case.

Once again, this is an American motif/pattern, Harvard, first used by Hawkes around 1900.  There are a few American patterns that were adopted by English companies; Russian was a particularly popular one.

Georgian patterns are simple by comparison.
  This is my quote.  I should have said "Georgian motifs" are simple by comparison, since there are Georgian patterns that combined more motifs than these vases.  In the case of Harvard, it's considered both a pattern that can be used alone, and a motif that can be used with other motifs to make up a pattern.

Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 09:03:22 AM »
Thanks Kristi

Can I just clarify Kristi what you are saying that the vases are in ABP pattern Harvard but that does not rule out the possibility of them being Harvard pattern but cut by a UK maker as a few patterns were copied and cut in the UK,

The vases are sharp with the stems particularly sharp with very deep cutting, also each pattern had to be adapted to fit the shape of the blank they were cut on

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glass

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 09:02:57 PM »
Hi Kristi, I'm a bit slippery when wet, notice how I said "some glass". I have a couple of Georgian glasses c1800 with fire polished pontil marks. Just thought I would mention it. Thanks for your info and sharing your knowledge, I'm sorry if I've been a bit annoying  :-X
Struck By Lightning

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 10:29:12 PM »
Thanks Kristi

Can I just clarify Kristi what you are saying that the vases are in ABP pattern Harvard but that does not rule out the possibility of them being Harvard pattern but cut by a UK maker as a few patterns were copied and cut in the UK,

The vases are sharp with the stems particularly sharp with very deep cutting, also each pattern had to be adapted to fit the shape of the blank they were cut on

Roy
Roy - Um...are you asking if that's what I'm saying?  If so, yes.  There's a bowl with a pedestal in Harvard shown in Daniel that has prismatic cutting on the stem, but a different rim (sawtooth as well as scalloped), so it may not signify anything.  So confusing that multiple companies cut the same pattern.  I'll email Karen and get her to take a look; she has a lot more references than I and it's possible she has one showing the vases if they are American.  Do they glow in UV?

Glass - You're not annoying me at all!  I was just wondering about the fire polishing thing - knew it had been done as a finishing technique on glass just made, but wasn't sure when people started to use it on already-cut glass as a method to eliminate the greyness left by wheel marks.  Still not sure when or who did it besides Waterford.  Something I've been curious about for a while now.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 12:58:32 AM »
Kristi I have just checked under a UV a very faint green but not really a glow

Roy

Offline KarenR

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 10:44:20 PM »
Hi Roy - Where is the turquoise color coming from? 

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 12:29:34 AM »
Karen I can only think the turquoise colour is a reflection from the outer rim of the trampoline from where I took the pictures as that is green, just added one of base taken with flash

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand