No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green glass bowl ID = Nazeing  (Read 1497 times)

Offline heron

• Members
Green glass bowl ID = Nazeing
« on: February 05, 2009, 05:06:12 PM »
Can anyone help in identifying manufacturer? Although it does not appear so the pontil mark is in the middle.
First picture is bowl viewed from above. Diameter 178mm (7") and height 51mm (2").
Thanks

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Green glass bowl ID
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 05:17:17 PM »
Heron - It looks like a Nazeing mushroom posy to me.   There are similar examples shown in Plates 30, 32, and 33 of Timberlake, and in the catalogue pages at the end of the book.

Signature features include the "peacock's eye" rings of concentrated colour around bubbles, and the very slight reverse curve towards the rim.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline heron

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 05:41:40 PM »
Thanks very much Bernard - it makes sense now as I live in nearby Essex. I do have a similar smaller Vasart signed bowl which is of much higher quality. I don't know if there was a link with Scottish glass at some stage?

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:28:46 PM »
Heron - pleased to help.   Are you aware that Nazeing Glass Works has a Museum?   See http://www.nazeing-glass.com/museum/index.html

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline heron

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:15:18 PM »
Thanks Bernard
I will certainly give the Museum a look

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:24:58 PM »
Hello,

Signature features include the "peacock's eye" rings of concentrated colour around bubbles, and the very slight reverse curve towards the rim.

You are quite right Bernard, but I have recently noticed that this is becoming a characteristic that is being quoted as the way of identifying Nazeing glass.

I would agree with you that this posy bowl is indeed from the Nazeing factory, most probably from the Elwell commissioned period. However, the "peacock eye" with a pool of colour surronding a bubble is a feature of a number of manufacturers, including 'Cluthra' right through to a recently bought piece of Romanian glass from T K Maxx.

I just thought that I'd take the opportunity to draw people's attention to this, in order that folks use it as one guide to the identification of Nazeing - as suggested by Bernard's use of the plural, "....features...." in the quote above.

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand