No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Colour changing duck!  (Read 1068 times)

Offline glassaddict

• Members
Colour changing duck!
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:32:39 PM »
Today I bought what I thought was a pale pink glass duck, when I brought it home and place it on the dining room table it was dark blue, when I photographed it, it was purple  :huh:
Does anybody know how? why or who made it?
Many thanks,
Hil

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/bananabons/Glass%20duck/?action=view&current=blue.jpg 

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/bananabons/Glass%20duck/?action=view&current=blue2.jpg

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/bananabons/Glass%20duck/?action=view&current=purple.jpg

Moderator: HTML code removed as it doesn't work on the board. Just the link itself is needed Hil.  :thup:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Colour changing duck!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »
Could it be neodymium glass perhaps?  Certainly that goes from pink to a lilacy blue - do a search on this board for neodymium, there are a few topics on the subject.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 07:11:19 PM »
The other options are Dichroic or Alexandrit . :angel:

Mod: spelling of dichroic fixed to make search work better  :kissy:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »
That's definitely neodymium glass (same thing as Alexandrit] but definitely NOT dichroic. Your colour changing is caused by the glass absorbing different wavelengths of light. Dichroism is a light refraction property of crystals.

Here is a good website on neodymium glass BUT she is wrong when she uses the word dichroic; what she actually means is dichromatic.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 10:37:19 PM »
Thank you Pip JohnPhillip and Christine for the info. Very interesting to read all about it. I guess it is unlikely to be able to pin down a maker or age for this little duck - but nice to know 'how'
Much appreciated.
Hil  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand