No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: identification? Please help  (Read 1354 times)

Offline newhere

• Members
identification? Please help
« on: February 19, 2009, 07:14:48 PM »
hello to you all
as I.D. implies, I'm very new! (to here and Murano!)
Way back during the mid eighties I was given a beautiful odd shaped multi coloured glass dish from an old family member. She said it was bought back from Italy after the war, which places its purchase around mid to late 1940's.
There are no markings on the dish.
I love the dish for its own sake (beauty and sentimental) and have never given a thought to its origine or worth.

We are at present clearing out (slowly) our old family home in readiness for a retirement move and to that end I have been selling 'unwanted' on ebay.
As you do, I peeked a look at 'sellers other items'  and there was a dish similar to mine!!
Murano (to me!) was born only 10 days ago! and I have been busy learning! - in my excitment I have hastily bought two dishes, one for a nieces' 18th birthday gift and another because I liked it! (so much for 'downsizing!)

I found your site just last night and would appreciate your opinion and help on identification.
One of these little dishes has half a label! - From your 'labels' page I think the missing part should read 'genuine ... something something'   - I can make out the 'ui'
If it were genuine would the makers need to write the word genuine??
 Could the writing on the missing part be anything else??
Bit I can see 2nd / 3rd & 4th lines -  'handmade' 'made in Murano' 'Italy'
My own dish is in our home in France but will photo it when we return - with renewed interest!
I must say I was a tiny bit disappointed with the two new buys, as they are quite small - 13cm across whereas my old dish is nearer 30cms. - my own fault for still living with inches!!

I thankyou for your help and this site! 

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: identification? Please help
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:10:25 PM »
AVEM Tutti Frutti dish. The label looks OK, but not sure if they're both from the same production. You should be aware these have been extensively copied in China and I'm not sure if anyone can tell true from false without actually handling them.  Anyways, chances look really good for the one with the sticker.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:30:47 PM »
There are several Murano companies that did the tutti-frutti pieces. AVeM, Fratelli Toso, Ferro, and JI Co. come to mind right away. There are also some "generic" tutti-frutti pieces, meaning people who are looking at them aren't sure who made them. The label on your bowl is generic, so doesn't provide a lot of information. I can't see the backs well enough to tell much about your bowls. Many of the tutti-frutti pieces made by the various companies are distinctive in their colors, shapes, or filigrana. Your bowls do look like Murano glass to me and, as Ivo said, could be AVeM.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline newhere

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:57:44 PM »
thankyou so very much for your reply - it is late so I will look again in the morning,
again many thanks - looks promising

Offline newhere

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 09:34:33 AM »
hi , again, thankyou for your replies.
Sounds as though I have been lucky with my 'hasty buys' - this time!

I will hold off any more purchases until I learn more.
I have decided to keep the dish with the label - the other is a gift - as I said before, an 18th birthday gift, a little odd for a young girl nowadays, but I wanted to give something she could 'keep'.
- and who knows in twenty years time, even 'the first Chinese Copies' could be worth something in their own right!!
I just hope she likes it as much I did my gift back in the '80's!
Regards

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand