No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it possible to date or identify this Celery Vase, please?  (Read 943 times)

Offline Fen

• Members
Is it possible to date or identify this Celery Vase, please?
« on: April 08, 2009, 04:05:44 PM »
Pressed glass, eight inches high with three ridges separating the pattern which is repeated in different sized diamonds. I would be grateful for any opinion and apologise that I have so little to offer others. I feel that I am a recipient all the time but I am learning and hope to contribute more as time goes by. I also make sure that I spend time on the "search" before I post. I am amazed how often answers are found by searching this site. Thank you for sharing your expertise.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Is it possible to date or identify this Celery Vase, please?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 06:57:12 PM »
hello Fen  -  a nice looking celery vase.
I assume you have looked for a Rd. No. and can't find one  -  also assume there aren't any lions or peacocks heads anywhere.    They can sometimes be difficult to find.   How about wear on the base?           cheers         Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:05:31 PM »
Hi Fen

I'm sure your celery vase is c1930. I can see its two part pressed glass, so I believe it wont date before 1910 -20. All 19th Century pressed glass items I've seen are three part pressed glass so you would see three joins, with your vase there is only two. I'm not 100% sure about the actual date two part pressed glass was first produced so hopefully someone can enlighten us further.

Cheers
Struck By Lightning

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:18:27 AM »
'glass' - thanks for the technical explanation for the benefit of us beginners.  Much appreciated -  I assume you are saying that it was the moulds that were in either two or three parts  -  thus producing two or three join lines.    I Have some C19 celerys, so must look at them again, and if the difference is easy to photograph, will post some pics. to show three joins.        cheers               Paul S.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:15:09 PM »
I agree to the conclusion that the vase is circa 1930 but based on style, not on counting mould lines. It seems the rather convenient wisdom of 2, 3 and 4 part moulds was badly shaken when Pressglaskorrespondenz looked into the matter. The number of parts is not related to the age at all, all types of moulds have been used from the 1830s onwards.  So keep an open mind when looking at older celeries...

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 01:12:19 PM »
Ivo is quite right regarding the number of mould joints/age question. Simply put, there is no valid correlation. At Fenton, we always have to be sure that the press mould will open and close properly and that the piece will "relieve." Whenever possible, we would like to do a two-part mould, but the overall shape of the piece and the nature and depth of the pattern may necessitate a three-part or four-part mould.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand