No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pansy weight  (Read 2118 times)

Offline mjr

• Members
Pansy weight
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:57:30 PM »
French weights are not my area of expertise. Could one of the Baccarat experts let me know what they think of this. Its about 2.75 - 3 inch diameter, typical french dished base.

Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Re: Pansy weight
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:06:10 AM »
doesn't look much like a type 1, 2 or 3 baccarat pansy.

st louis made a pansy, but again not in the style of yours....

if you think its antique then a better picture would be great ;) yours 'resembles' a clichy-style pansy but there are other more likely possibilities.....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 12:16:04 AM »
I was only guessing at Baccarat. This is a rear view.
Martin

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 12:23:57 AM »
and a slightly bigger front view image. Must apologise but its past 1 am, several bottles of Blossom Hill californian red (£2.99 special from Bargain Booze - nowt but the best!!!) , the wife's snoring on the end of the settee, and the images taken on the mobile phone!  Happy Easter!!
Martin

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 01:50:06 AM »
It will be interesting to see if anyone else thinks that it is a modern Chinese.

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 05:09:10 PM »
I was thinking early Chinese - 1920's. There are some similarities to antique french weights but nothing that fits the usual pattern/colourations. A chinese pansy may be much rarer than the antique equivalent!!

St Louis pansies 'traditionally' have swan neck stems - looping out to the side of the flower head.

Clichy pansies are not usually seen with the petals arranged at 12, 9 and 3 o'clock - unlike their Baccarat and St Louis cousins.....

Baccarat pansies are more varied - three distinct types but non match your example.

A rather good illustration of a number of antique types is in paul hollisters "glass paperweights of the NYHS" - colour plate 34.

some other possibilities are 1920's french/dupont, or even north american - the american manufacturers did 'copy' some antique designs but gave them their own individual tweaks....

intriging and i'm envious!!!

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 06:14:04 PM »
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 09:45:45 PM »
If it is modern chinese that should be easy to prove - there will be other examples out there!!!

there is a 1920's chinese pansy in flemming and pommerenckes paperweights of the world and the odd example does turn up on ebay. I remember a faceted example a few months ago....

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:24:19 AM »
I have examples of pansies and other Chinese flowers from the 1920s era, and this one of Martin's looks different.

It would be nice to see a sharper image, but I think it may be a pansy from this century - ie post 2000. I remember looking at a Chinese manufacturers website a couple of years ago and there were lampwork flowers of reasonable quality on offer, including pansies, set in clear glass. The concave base on this looks unusual though. There was a similar pansy on eBay around the same time, but I have not got images I am sorry to say.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 11:53:50 AM »
Some interesting comments.  My initial thoughts were French because of the scalloped base and the low profile, although the pansy does not look like the Baccarat versions.   Anyway, I have taken some better photos which are here
http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/mjryorkie/weights/
Martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand