No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars angular vase or another factory?  (Read 1784 times)

Offline cmdg

• Members
Re: Whitefriars angular vase or another factory?
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 02:35:11 PM »
Hi, all of my angular vases have polished rims,although I have seen examples with a gound rim,including the larger,earlier Lemington Floor vases which I understand were the inspiration for these smaller angulars(around 6 1/2" tall).The bases do vary on mine,most have a smooth polished pontil mark,however I have two examples with a rather unfinished pontil that is still quite rough,as if it has been just partly finished,these two do not have any etched marks.The one I have with a smooth flat base,in a deep cranberry and is also unmarked(and is much heavier than my others,could be possibly due to the colouring perhaps,as it looks to be no thicker?).As far as I can tell,the rim finish and pontil finishing is not indicative of any particular factory,but the floor vases,which were thinner walled, were only produced at the Lemington glass works.
As any catalogues are hard to find,I find that it is very difficult to determine which factory produced which RSW pieces,of course some do have etched marks or labels,but many do not,and personally I do not believe this is a reliable way to decide on which factory produced it,it is often stated on ebay that unmarked pieces are from the Kings Lynn works,but I do not think this is always the case!.
Chris.
PS.I really hope to get our website finished sooner than later,hopefully we will be able to provide an almost comprehensive list of RSW pieces,which should help with ID.(www.ronaldstennettwillson.com)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 06:13:45 PM »
I have one these in the Lynn / Wedgwood navy blue - it's unmarked but I'm confident it's Lynn / Wedgwood based on the colour (an exact match for the Wedgwood candleholders I have) and the way the pontil is ground (exactly like a cranberry Wedgwood cylinder vase with early label). The size of the pontil mark is much smaller than the one shown in the original post thou'. I can't remember why but I always thought that the Lemington ones were a slightly different shape? With the shoulders less steep and more curved than the Lynn / Wedgwood ones.

If you look at the two pictured side by side on Chris's excellent site:

http://ronaldstennettwillson.com/Vases%20Angular.html

I'd suspect the left hand one is Lemington (digging a hole for myself here...). The colour also looks the same as the yellow from the Lemington harlequin glass sets.

Just to muddy the waters further, I stumbled across this today. The seller gives a seemingly cast iron reference (the catalogue mentioned was written by Helmut Ricke)  >:D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370177469487

robbo
robbo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
I've added my two advert pics into GlassGallery -  these were sent to me a while ago and I can't remember by whom (2 people I think) so thank you to whoever it was and I'm sorry I can't remember who  :-[ blame old age or something!

Anyhow, here they are and interestingly although both Lemington adverts they appear to show both versions of the vase shown on Chris' site  :-\ so was one earlier than the other and changed for technical or aesthetic reasons?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11594
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11595
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand