No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple/blue vase deco style  (Read 1427 times)

Offline glasseyed

• Members
    • England
    • Bridges Antiques
Purple/blue vase deco style
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:00:56 PM »
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/2ptwfoTEBOKKnD154iJJ0g?authkey=Gv1sRgCKShyPW1i-WlmgE&feat=directlink

Hi

I've had this vase for around five years and have not found any information on maker or age. Any ideas out there?

Regards

Hazel
Hazel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Purple/blue vase deco style
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 04:13:09 PM »
Hi there,

Would it be possible to see images of the top edge at the mouth of the vase, and also the underside?  If no images, is the mouth fired or ground. Underside... pontil, cased with clear, ground?  What about age wear?.. Or do you have any idea of age?  What  is the size of the piece? Pictures would be great.....  It is a nice looking piece of glass......  Strikes me as Czech, but I'll reserve the opinion pending additional images or information.

Craig   
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasseyed

• Members
    • England
    • Bridges Antiques
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 06:04:37 PM »
Hi Craig

Thanks for the reply, I have added some more pictures - plus a couple of bonus items just for fun :thup:

The pontil is ground, the base shows genuine wear and on close inspection it does appear to be cased (never noticed it before).

Regards

Hazel

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/EnglishPorcelain/Glass20th?authkey=Gv1sRgCKShyPW1i-WlmgE&feat=directlink
Hazel

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 06:46:39 PM »
Hi Hazel,  What are the dimensions of the piece?   

It strikes me as a piece of Kralik, although I have not seen the decor before. I am emailing a couple of the pics to a friend to get his take on it and see if he agrees with me.  The other pieces you put up there are quite lovely, especially the short one.......  Any marks on those?  Attributions ? Do you collect Czech glass?

I'll let you know when I get a reply to my email.

Craig

Offline glasseyed

• Members
    • England
    • Bridges Antiques
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 07:33:50 PM »
Hi Craig

The dimensions are 18cm high by 22cm across.

Do I collect Czech glass is a tricky question. I have a number of Czech items in my collection and I love the quality of many Czech pieces but I am an eclectic collector with a butterfly mind and buy things that take my fancy.

Do you think the pretty bulbous vase is Loetz? Unfortunately it is not in good condition (held together with glass glue) but it displays well as you can see.

Thanks for the help.

Hazel
Hazel

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »
looks like Kralik - definitely no Loetz.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:51:10 PM »
Hi Hazel, 

My friend agrees with me that the originally posted piece is most probably a Kralik piece.  It is really quite nice.....  would look fabulous at my house   ;D.  The smaller piece with silver overlay is leaning me towards Kralik also....  Will confirm that one too.  The glass itself seems a touch Loetz Papillon like, more than Kralik examples I have seen, but the shape leads me strongly back the other way towards Kralik.

It is also not easy sometimes with images and not seeing the glass live, but the color does not seem quite right for an example of Loetz Papillon either.

Craig

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 12:48:23 AM »
Hi Hazel,

I have been informed by those much wiser than I, that the short, and unfortunately broken vase, (I am going to sob uncontrollably now :cry:), is a classic Loetz shape..... I am glad I have friends much wiser than I am in this field...... I have been studying glass for many years, and no matter how much I think I have learned.... I am reminded constantly that I am really an amateur....... a fairly good one at times, an advanced collector of sorts..... but an amateur none the less.........     ::)

Craig

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 12:57:30 AM »
I am an eclectic collector with a butterfly mind and buy things that take my fancy.

By the way, I am in Seattle WA USA and I love the way you Brits talk!!! Makes much of what we say over here across the pond seem so dull and uneventful !!  I too "am an eclectic collector with a butterfly mind and buy things that take my fancy", but I just would have just said that "I buy unusual pieces that I find interesting"....  Your way of putting it makes it seem like so much more fun!!!

Craig

Offline glasseyed

• Members
    • England
    • Bridges Antiques
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:09:56 AM »
Hi Craig

Those of us with butterfly minds learn less about more, sometimes this works for us and sometimes against - best to be philosophical about it. We alight on a topic, flirt with it briefly and move on, flitting back briefly now and then to research some more.

Do not be too sad about the vase, because of the damage I paid a very small price and now can keep it and love it with a clear conscience.

I had never considered Kralik as a possiblity for the original vase so I must go and do some more research, any tips on where to look.

Regards

Hazel
Hazel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand