No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carnival Glass Footed Bowl....Indiana Glass  (Read 868 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Carnival Glass Footed Bowl....Indiana Glass
« on: May 15, 2009, 03:40:11 AM »
Found this one (carnival glass) at a garage sale for $2.00 which I might add I *snapped* up rather quickly.  Reason why, because I like it, and I have another one similar to this.  See link:  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,18057.0.html

This one seems to have a bit more pearlized iridescent to it...or is it just me.  Is this a different term of color, or just how they were made? (my other one is packed away somewhere, so I have not had them side by side yet - but this one seems more sparkly...)

....and this one is missing it's lid too?  Or did they all have lids?  Just wondering, but for $2.00 I am still happy  ;D

TIA
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Carnival Glass Footed Bowl....Indiana Glass
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 07:39:16 AM »
Hi there:
I have a silly question.  I picked up another one of these bowls (I think I now have 4 of them) for about $3.00 here.  Now my silly question is that some seem to have a stronger iridescent to them.  Was that just in the making (or the batch) that was done -- or IS there a difference (or name) given to the level of iridescent to these pieces?

Just wondering....to me they all look Amber in Color, but with different levels of shine to them....not from being old, or worn...just different level.

If it is a silly question -- I can bury my head, quickly  :wsh: :pb: :24:  

I think after having 4 of these, the next one I see -- I am going to have to walk right by it, and not buy it. LOL
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:22:03 AM »
The iridescence is created by spraying a solution of a metal salt onto the hot glass. The level of iridescence depends on how hot the glass is and how much spray was used and how concentrated it was. The colour of the iridescence depends on the chemical composition of the metal salt. The base glass for these will be colourless.

I suspect that the older pieces were done one at a time (i.e., one after another) rather than several at a time, but I don't know if that would be true for these 1970s pieces.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »
Your pretty footed "Harvest Wedding Bowl" was sold both with and without a lid (cover). It was number 1259 when sold as the "Harvest Wedding Bowl" in Indiana's "Iridescent Gold" without the lid.

The difference in the depth and colour effects of the iridescence are typical of Carnival Glass. Having said that, there is much less variation to be seen on Contemporary Carnival compared with Classic old Carnival. Modern practices and quality control account for that.

It's a great piece, Rose - and so practical and usable! And what a steal at $3.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand