No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Daum - did they make pressed glass like this?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Daum - did they make pressed glass like this?
« on: June 03, 2009, 10:26:52 PM »
I was browsing pics on Flickr and found this one which says it's Daum but it looks like pressed glass. Did Daum make pressed glass, and if so, when, and is it marked? Can anyone tell me more please?  See the pic I looked at here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/dis-order-ed/3515216144/in/set-72157615972505942/
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Daum - did they make pressed glass like this?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 10:56:46 PM »
Hi Anne, nice meeting you today,

The vase in the link looks to be an acid reduction vase, not pressed and is very typical for Daum around 1930, though other makers also produced similar styles. Daum did also make pressed glass, however. I've had a few both mould blown and press-moulded pieces by their Lorrain subsidiary.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10688 This press moulded then acid etched vase is attributed to Daum (design by P. D'avesn) by Cappa (1998).  The example shown in Cappa (no. 396, p.235) is supposedly marked, though other pieces shown in this style are not. Sadly there is no pic of the mark. The only marked piece in this pattern I've owned had a faint acid stamp 'Made in France' to base, no mention of Daum or D'Avesn. Moulded Verrerie D'Art Lorrain pieces usually carry a moulded 'Lorrain' mark.

Steven  

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:31:48 AM »
Hi Steven, good to meet you too today, and thank you for the loan of your book. :)

Re the vase, thank you,  I'm not familiar with acid reduction at all, am I right in thinking that the patterned area is raised and the smooth area is lower? Or is it not that simple? I assume that acid reduction can be done on either pressed or blown blanks?

The reason I asked is that the finish on the vase is very similar to that on one of my mystery trinket sets and it was just a thought they could have come from the same stable. I have no idea if Daum made such things though...

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 12:33:38 AM »
Hi Anne,

Just thought I would add that another term commonly used for that type of work, as opposed to acid reduction, is ACB or "Acid Cut Back". Acid Cutting is a method that has been widely used by many quality manufacturers. It involves taking the piece of glass and protecting the surface area one wants preserved with materials that are acid resistant. The application of acid then cuts, or reduces the surface that is exposed, resulting in a relief pattern. Companies such as Webb, Daum, Galle, Schneider, Lalique, Steuben and more used the method. It is actually a little more common, IMO, to see the technique used on layered glass, allowing for different colors to be exposed, as opposed to etching monochrome glass. It seems to me the French used ACB techniques on monochrome glass more than most other countries.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 12:46:44 AM »
Craig, thanks for adding that, it's useful to know who else made them.  It just makes me realise that the more I learn the more I realise I still have to learn! :)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 01:14:41 AM »
Anne, If you follow this link:

http://www.artfact.com/catalog/searchLots.cfm?scp=c&catalogRef=TSVP1TK33T

It will take you to a James D Julia Auction for glass. There are a large amount of ACB pieces by several manufacturers in the auction. It is a really wonderful selection of glass, and also paperweights if you follow those.....  Some wonderful eye candy!!!

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 02:45:17 AM »
A bit (or a lot?) off topic but ...

James D Julia Auction for glass ... ... and also paperweights if you follow those.....
I don't think Anne is quite into paperweights in any big way just yet. But for anyone who is interested in millefiori inkwells, please note that Lot 1032 in the auction is described as "Whitefriars-type ...". That is not correct, and there is plenty of evidence these days to support the point that millefiori items like the one offfered, and with an 1848 date cane, were from the English Arculus or Walsh-Walsh companies in the 1920s & 1930s (and maybe a bit later). The Whitefriars 19th century millefiori bottle idea probably came from the 1920s era and is still used by some folk despite the evidence of latest research.
KevinH

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 06:58:33 AM »
just to throw a little confusion into the pot, here is a picture of a teal vase I bought many years ago in France. The technique and colour and overall quality scream "DAUM" - but there are no markings to substantiate it....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand