No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: French? large mould-blown vase, circa 1930s?  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
French? large mould-blown vase, circa 1930s?
« on: June 08, 2009, 05:25:48 PM »

Click here for more images.

I bought this large 12" / 31cm pinky-peach or peachy-pink mould-blown vase in Brittany about three weeks ago.   I couldn't resist it as it is such a good match in all respects to the three Jobling 1930s vases / lamp bases, the B1 Lampton Vase, the B2 Fish Vase, and the B3 Bird and Corn Vase, all of which are French design and mouldmaking, the last two of which are known for certain to have been modelled by Etienne Franckhauser.

Any views or further information?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: French? large mould-blown vase, circa 1930s?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 05:54:02 PM »
Don't know the maker, but I've seen a lot of these vases about lately, never marked and often in colourless glass with or without satin finish - I suspect some at least are recent production, though probably from an older mould.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
I'm sure I've seen this vase in a Stolle, Niemen (Poland) catalogue from Pressglas-korrespondenz. I've been going through my records but no luck in finding the catalogue yet.......

A somewhat similar vase attributed to Niemen but with a different neck & differences in the floral pattern is shown here however: http://artandbusiness.onet.pl/4706,1,1,galeria.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:46:06 AM »
Steven — Here are two more examples of the vase you found.   Obviously one inspired the other.   Mine wasn't made yesterday as there is some light wear on it, and the pink is impure, like Sowerby's 1930s Rosalin (that's one mystery cleared up — it's an Eastern European word), which is one reason I bought it.

I can't help wondering if it's a post-war communist bloc production, which would explain they are emerging in the western European marketplace now.   What do you think?

Thanks for tracking down the lookalike.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand