No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Inwald Uranium Glass Vase with Black Base  (Read 997 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Inwald Uranium Glass Vase with Black Base
« on: June 09, 2009, 03:22:08 PM »
Bought this vase recently as I was very much intrigued by the unusual two colour combination. It's a heavy pressed glass vase, standing approximately 265mm tall. I believe it is an Inwald pattern, it is also shown in 1930s Markhbeinn catalogues. What is interesting is that while the body of the vase is in green uranium glass, the foot is in black amethyst, a combination I've never seen before.

The vase all appears to have been moulded in one piece, certainly there is no obvious seam suggesting the foot was separately applied. The underside of the base appears to have originally been finely polished but now shows a lot of wear. The base looks opaque black but there is a small chip at the side where the amethyst colour shows.

It's a very interesting vase & I'd be interested to hear any opinions/ further info on it.
Thanks,
Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Sklounion

Re: Inwald Uranium Glass Vase with Black Base
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 04:22:24 PM »
Hi,
Do you have the pattern number from the Markhbeinn catalogue, please? This is not Inwald pattern 11039, or 11040, though very similar, which have separate numbers for the differing sizes, and the 265mm size does not appear in the 1958 Inwald catalogue. I could not find this in the 1932 Markhbeinn catalogue.

Regards,

Marcus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Inwald Uranium Glass Vase with Black Base
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 05:31:08 PM »
Hi Marcus,

Pattern no. appears to be 11040, shown in the 1936 Markhbeinn catalogue (thanks to Siegmar Geiselberger of Pressglas-korrespondenz.de for the catalogue ref.). Markhbeinn 1936, Table 52 shows three sizes of this pattern, described as 'Vase à côte Pied Carré'. Smallest 11039 height 18cm, then 11040 height 25 cm, followed by a larger example, the proportions of which appear to match my vase, also no. 11040, no dimensions given. Available colours listed as 'Blanc, Ambre, Améthyste, Rose & Fumé'.

The Markhbeinn catalogue illustration is also reproduced in pk-2007-1-04-mb-Inwald-1940

Thanks,

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand