No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with ID (Murano?)  (Read 3017 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Help with ID (Murano?)
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 08:05:11 AM »

Hi Allan

Does this clickable thumbnailhelp?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 02:10:48 AM »
Thank you.  It does help quite a bit.  

I am certain (my opinion) that they are Chinese.  I pulled out a catalog sent to me by a representative of a Chinese company back in 2003 and the canes are all in there, but not those exact styles.  When I looked through the catalog, I saw several styles of paperweights that I previously would have been sure were from Murano.  The website maintained by the company was www.chinamurano.com.  It no longer exists but the name says it all.

That same factory made three "Clichy baskets" for me including the one pictured below:

and

The comments and pictures in this posting are the copyright of Allan Port. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 05:46:20 AM »
One more thought.  The top center paperweight in Bob Hall's picture has different canes and is from a different maker.  It still looks Chinese to me, but it is possible that this one is from a different or new maker.  Bob says in his article that the weight contains two RB canes for the maker's signature.  So, I am changing my opinion to say maybe this weight originated in Italy.  The other three did not (again, my opinion). 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 10:37:46 AM »
The basket is very nice, indeed!! A pity I have never seen this quality in Chinese weights before!!! I would have grabbed it!  :mrgreen:

SophieB

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 01:21:13 PM »
Allan - the top center of Bob Hall's has canes that i've seen more and more of the last few years on eBay.
Especially French ebay where they get listed a dozen at a time.

See eBay id 170467474807 for an auction of a similar weight. The seller has six listed with no signature canes etc.
The listing says "original murano glass" but does not specify maker.

It is telling that the listing says "The picture is indicative, the glass is hand made and some time can be little different."

My vote is very recent Chinese.

Given that there is supposed to be a signature cane in the one in Hall's picture, and the somewhat better than usual setup,
it is not impossible I gues for that piece to have been assembled by Benetti using Chinese canes.

Over all tho I think the biggest problem with Muranese paperweights is that canes are sold wholesale
to anyone who'll pay. So even genuine Murano canes can appear in Chinese weights, and Chinese canes in genuine Murano weights.

Add to that the various other scams Alan mentioned.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline marc

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 12:10:15 PM »
Two examples, my father bought these paperweights thirty years ago,  more or less. I think are chinese.
Best regards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand