No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venitian footed bowl with flowers....  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Venitian footed bowl with flowers....
« on: July 02, 2009, 01:53:07 PM »
Any thoughts as to date and maker... 10.6cm (4 1/8") diameter at rim, subtle irridized surface, applied flowers, small snapped pontil scar, folded under foot rim and matching seperate underplate.

Many thanks,
Martyn.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Venitian footed bowl with flowers....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 03:20:09 PM »
I believe it is Salviati , will get back later , check the flowers they are often damaged .

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 03:49:44 PM »
Cheers JP,

Salviati is what I was thinking when I bought it, but my searches proved inconclusive...luckily it's got no damage at all.

Offline Jurgen

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 04:57:15 PM »
Hi all........I'm thinking this...............Jerry

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:28:03 PM »
Cheers Jerry,

Very similar flower formation...I'll add BT to my hunt, but will have to defer to those who know more than me to say if the rest of the piece would fit with a BT attribution.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 03:06:38 PM »
Hi Martyn i have a funny feeling my memories playing up these days , i agree it could well be B&T i still have one somewhere i must look it out .jp 

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 03:47:21 PM »
To be honest I find this whole area a bit confusing....I was thinking it could date anywhere from around 1880ish to the 1930s and can find similarities with Salviati, Barovier, Venini, etc. but given all the crossovers, connections  and style revivals I'm lost.

B&T would make it late 1930s at the earliest...If you do have a matching bowl with one of those lovely label things on JP that would be super.....have you looked in the dishwasher  :)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »
The flower formation is not good for ID'ing because several companies made glass with similar flowers. My first thought when I saw the bowl was AVeM, then I thought about Salviati, Seguso, Barovier, Fratelli Toso ... Then I realized that someone would have to find the specific bowl and plate to know who made it. The blue glass to me is more important than the flowers for IDing. It is a gorgeous shade.

Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Jurgen

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 02:09:26 AM »
Hi all..........In the world of hand crafted glass, two items of glass can never truely be exactly the same, only similar. Some are so similar, they can be identified. Some are so dissimilar, they can be identified. Anything in between can be a burden! Color can be very helpfull, but I think color should much lower on the list as a determinating factor.I rarely rely on color unless I am holding that piece of glass in my hand and in natural light. Whatmaybe light blue on my computer screen, might be dark blue,aqua or even lavender on someone else's. The color I get, wouldn't eve put AVEM on my list of hopefulls.Salvviati or some smaller glass house would be a good guess or maybe even F/T? I don't know vasoline from opaline to alabastard. I don't know many glass techniques, but I do know where the majority of our glass originated! In all our countless years of collecting Murano tourist glass, we're sure of one thing-it's ALL in the DETAILS!! And you learn this by handling hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of pieces of glass! After all, how can one know the maker aglass paper weight without gaze into and exploring and deciphering every last minute detail. And I think this is true for any glass. So, this is what works for us!! If someone has a better method that works for them, more power to them! Therefore I'm going with the flower until I see one with another label, and one day in the future I'm sure we will. After all, everybody copied everyone else in some manner or form, at one time or another! And when that happens, I can steer people in two directions. Oh, before I forget, on some of the flowers, the stigma is attached by a metal wire, and others are glass on glass (pushed in to far?). Finally, from what I can see of your glass, they seem to be very well made and I think a fair amount of effort went into them! I would be proud to have them in my collection, no matter who the maker was. So me and my gals are comfortable with thinking B/T!!
That's my story and I'm sticken' to it!.......................Jerry         

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 03:08:42 AM »
I believe that, with the iridized surface and the color of blue, you may well be right, Jerry. I have seen a couple of other BT things that had this combo.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand