No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: painted Uranium vase victorian bohemian??  (Read 1458 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
painted Uranium vase victorian bohemian??
« on: July 25, 2009, 09:20:17 PM »
Hi there
picked this beautiful vase up today, not normally my thing but its gorgeous!!! and it was just £2 but does have a little damage, nothing to serious fortunitly and doesnt effect the display value.
It is a creamy white colour with a green hue, the vase is cased in uranium (im sure i have it right this time christine ;D it glows like made). It has a purple painted effect on the front with little bobbly bits.
I dont know a great deal about this sort of glass but i would guess its early ish victorian around 1880 - 1900 maybe bohemian
can anybody give more any more info or agree/disagree??
It is 24cms tall, 11cms wide, the body is a 4 lobed shape, the base has a snapped off not polished pontil mark (bit sharp)
many thanks in advance
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: painted Uranium vase victorian bohemian??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 09:37:59 AM »
Looks very much like 'Stourbridge ' glass,Webbs maybe?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 03:18:18 PM »
Is it actually cased? Looks like a uranium "milk" glass to me (comes in shades ranging from grey through cream, to yellow and green). Could be Stourbridge, could be Bohemian. I would probably go with the latter. The date could be another 20 years into the 20C. Many of these styles were made over a long period

It also looks like it could belong to the same family as some of the vases linked from here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,27574.0.html

Another unknown but yes uranium  ;D

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 07:08:41 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, Christine - looks like the same style of decoration as is on the shaded ones.  

I think it's uranium cased in a layer of clear (or almost colorless, anyway).  You can tell by the bubbles near the bottom, and a hint of rough clear on the pontil. 
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 01:27:35 PM »
Hi there
ive had a really good look at this and it has a milky white glass internally with just a single case of very pale transparent green glass (the uranuim), there doesnt appear to be another case in clear, ive shone a normal lights through, the UV light, daylight and fluorescent light through but cant see a clear case. The glass has a soft satin effect. The applied handles are made from clear glass which is also satin feel and there is a marked difference between the handle and the body. Its really hard to capture on camera the effect.
many thanks for you help
michelle

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 01:51:37 PM »
I think it is more likely that this isn't cased at all, just uranium glass throughout

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 01:56:55 PM »
There is definatly 2 parts, the white then the layer of clear green, when held up to the light its really obvious, also when you look at the rim you can see the layer on top of the white rather the a gradual fade to the green. also the white is not transparent which makes it easier to see the 2 different types
I hope that makes sense ;D
thanks
michelle

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 01:57:45 PM »
It has all been acid treated (before painting) to give the satin effect. You often find tiny areas where the acid "paint" was missed if it was done by hand rather than by dipping. You can find satin finishes on any sort of glass

If it has an outer green uranium case, it won't have a clear one as well.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 04:44:13 PM »
The light green was what I was talking about.  I thought it was colorless from looking at the bubbles, but then after I'd written realized the outer layer was a pale green and added the "(or almost colorless)".  Should have just said green!  Anyway...Michelle, how do you determine which layer is glowing?  Because the outer layer is apparently so pale and thin, I would guess it's the inner one (uranium was used to make opaque white glass as well as greens, etc.).  That would conform with the other similar pieces.  Maybe it's both layers.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 07:00:57 PM »
I suspect it will be only the outer layer. I have rose bowl with satinated green cased over white and the inner layer doesn't glow; it only reflects the blue. The effect is really pretty on the edge as you get bright green cased over bright blue/purple. The green layer on mine is much thicker at the bottom but that's probably just the way it was made.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand