No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mottled Pear Paperweight - help with initials on base  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Rosie1

• Members
Mottled Pear Paperweight - help with initials on base
« on: August 09, 2009, 06:00:46 PM »
Hi,

I have the attached small pear shaped paperweight that is really lovely but I do not know the maker. It has etched letters on the base that looks like "RG" in capital letters. Sorry I cannot get a good pic. I have no idea if the letters refer to the factory or the artist. The pontil is dimpled to give the look of a real pear. On the whole it is a very neat and pretty piece with it's lovely green and blue mottles.

The size is 3.5" tall.

Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Mottled Pear Paperweight - help with initials on base
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:11:54 PM »
Would it be TVG, Teign Valley Glass. It's similar to one I have

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Rosie1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 07:37:46 PM »
Thank you, now I look at the letters it is definitely TVG not RG.   :chky:
I do not know anything about Teign Valley Glass but will do a bit more research now.

Regards

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 08:30:08 PM »
Hi

It's a small world, we visited friends in Wellington Somerset a week or so ago and visited a Marble factory in Bovey Tracey.
This is the Teign Valley Glass works.There is a museum and a Hot glass demonstration. Made a nice day out.

Roy 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 02:15:27 PM »
Hoping that this is the right place to post this as it follows the last thread. In passing, today I dropped into the Bovey Tracey premises of Teign Valley Glass and as I mentioned elsewhere, they are better known, as they advertise theirselves as 'The House of Marbles'. I spent some time looking around at what they have on offer and bought 1/2 a dozen of their 50mm 'marbles' and then went into the glass factory side and took a look at what was there. I quizzed the girl on the desk and said that locally and further afield in the country, that we never seem to come across any TVG glass products in shops. She told me that just about all the glass they produce, including paperweights, all goes to America and the only positive way of obtaining their glass is to visit and buy the items directly from them. They will if you ask make you anything in glass that you want, call it a 'commission piece' and engrave/sign it for you. Whilst in this part of the premises I bought this large paperweight, one of only 1/2 a dozen displayed, measuring approximately 3" 1/2 by 3" 1/2 and one of the glass men engraved it for me with T.V.G and put it in a proper TVG box. Very reasonable I thought for a total of £16.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand