No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID on unknown buy please. Paperweight base bud vase  (Read 632 times)

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
ID on unknown buy please. Paperweight base bud vase
« on: August 17, 2009, 01:05:58 PM »
Hello all,
 I was wondering if anyone out there would know anything about this small bud vase that i bought at the weekend. It stands 8.5" high and is very heavy for its size. The base has had the pontil polished out (but the glass is not clear underneath, why would his be?) There are a number of bubbles within the glass. I was told the vase was from the 60's, but i've learned to trust no one except you guys :thup:
 I have another vase that i bought at he same time and will post pictures of it, again, in the hope someone out there could cast their expert eyes over it and tell me a bit about it.
Slainte, David ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: ID on unknown weekend buy please
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 01:56:05 PM »
Zaohai light industry, China. These were still in production in 2000 - not sure when they started. I guess the item is quite a bit younger than you were told.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:58:02 PM »
These vases are Chinese; the date could very well be correct. The matte base is typical, although not exclusive to, of Chinese manufacture; it's one of the clues. Variants in blue and without the white stripe are found

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 05:29:44 PM »
Thanks to both of you for your info on this wee vase  :hiclp: :hiclp:, think I'll give it to my mum!!!!!!!
Cheers again, David

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand