No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unsual cased blue sculpture piece??  (Read 1663 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: Unsual cased blue sculpture piece??
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »
ahh thanks pip, ive never seen it as dark as this before had quite a few pieces in the lighter and a mid way between, its almost a royal blue. after seeing that i would say this is definatly whitefriars just got to find the pattern number now

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 12:03:38 PM »
ha your on whitefriars now, they will let you know.. looks like it might be a good un' if the colour is quite rare in this pattern number. plus you where closer than me with your guess at the 9514 :hiclp:
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 05:56:47 PM »
Regarding the colour - I think this bowl is the Whitefriars version and it is not Kingfisher but Blue cased and will be in the 1964 catalgoue.  It was also in the 1969 catalogue as Kingfisher, so two different colours.  The blue/cased colour was an early blue and is also found in the knobbly range and other bowls etc.  But it is definitely not Kingfisher.  Emmi

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 06:07:11 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up - the variation in KB isn't as wide as I believed then - does this darker blue have a WF colour name do you know and how is it referenced in the catalogues?

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 06:10:59 PM »
It is simply Blue cased.  I would also say Pip your 9516 bowl is also blue cased as it appeared in the 1964 cat.

http://whitefriars.com/catalogues/contents.php?id=1714

http://whitefriars.com/catalogues/contents.php?id=1712  scroll down for the colour at the bottom

Emmi

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 07:07:18 PM »
Im sure this looks the same piece as the above item, Ive never seen this colour before either on any w/f pieces although w/f has such a vast range would be hard to know them all, I just thought when i was in the junk shop id take a chance for 49p thanks for everyones time clearing it up for me i may keep it as it seems a rarer colour if only a small item. Does anyone know if it would be desirable on the re-sale market? Thanks again dan :hiclp:

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 07:38:15 PM »
Dan, I have to disagree with you.  Blue cased is not a rare or unusual colour, it is a catalogued colour used from around 1957 on a few production patterns and more regularly in the early 60s.  I have quite a few items in Blue/cased, but it is possible that some patterns were more popular in ruby or the green cased and there MAY be less of the blue, I don't know it is just speculation on my part that these small bowls are more often seen in Ruby, less so in green and maybe less so in blue.  But it does not make them rare and unusual.  One Ruby one sold recently on ebay for about £20 if that helps.  Regards  Emmi

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 09:44:33 AM »
I think this photo clearly illustrates the differences between the Whitefriars colours Kingfisher Blue and the earlier Blue/Cased. They are different "tones" of blue entirely.
Hope this helps  Emmi

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 10:14:04 AM »
 :thup: thanks, I usually have problems with the lighter colours (the sea greens and twilights) not the darker more distinct ones!

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »
I think this photo clearly illustrates the differences between the Whitefriars colours Kingfisher Blue and the earlier Blue/Cased. They are different "tones" of blue entirely.
Hope this helps  Emmi

So it's kingfisher on the left and blue cased on the right? They are both lovely colours.

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand