No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clarification Required - Peter St Clair or St Clair Art Glass  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Clarification Required - Peter St Clair or St Clair Art Glass
« on: August 26, 2009, 12:59:24 PM »
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can provide any clarification for the attached vase. It is relatively small 7cm in height and has a snapped of pontil to the base.

It is signed to the base 'St Clair' and 'July 92' it is also signed with another word I can not make out, prob maker name of range name. Something like 'Bircly' although this may well be wrong.

I believe it is probably made by Peter St Clair in the west country who has been blowing free blown glass since 1976. I presume it has nothing to do with St Clair glass in the states due to the date and markings.

Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.

Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Clarification Required - Peter St Clair or St Clair Art Glass
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:03:53 PM »
Could this be Nailsea glass produced by st clair...?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:16:01 AM »
I have a Peter St Clair vase that I think has the same pontil mark i.e looks a bit like a 4 leaf clover?  I've just been searching for information on him and cannot find anything really unfortunately.  Bristol Blue Glass say they stock his work but I can't see anything on their site either.
So I think it is.
m

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Hi M,

I actually ended up emailing St Clair glass about my small vase in the end. I got a response from Jenny St Clair, which I have copied out of interest below.  I think the email address that I originally used to contact St Clair was: info(AT)stclairglass.co.uk

The website they refer to in the below email, doesn't seem to work at present, not sure if its down to maintenance or if they have since closed during the last year.  

I did manage to  find a web directory listing for St Clair Glass last year (details below) The email and website addresses are the ones I have given you, not sure if the telephone number is still correct.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers, Greg  :)

StClair Glass Directory Info
Bristol area - address unknown (0117-902 7888)
Peter St Clair (established 1976). Hot formed art glassware, often with multiple inclusions

Email Response:
Hello Greg
The style and decoration looks like a St Clair piece of glass but most likely made by an apprentice. Glass blown by Peter St Clair would be signed in his name and dated. Hope that helps and good to see such an old original piece.

More recent work made by Peter can be seen on www.stclairglass.co.uk

All the best
Jenny St Clair

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 10:02:25 PM »
Thanks Greg.  Mine is signed Peter St Clair, it isn't dated though.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand