No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Northwood Good Luck Bowl...oddity or imposter? Ceramic.  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Re: Northwood Good Luck Bowl...oddity or imposter? Ceramic.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 10:44:43 AM »
Here are a couple of photos of my Northwood Grape & Cable piece. The glass is Northwood's "Antique Ivory" - aka custard (there is no iridescence on this piece, but I have had custard items with light iridescence, known to collectors as "Pearl Carnival").

This item has a light brown stain / tint, known as "nutmeg." This "brown stain" was introduced circa 1914, while "blue and pink backgrounds were available somewhat later" (ref. "Harry Northwood: The Wheeling Years", Heacock, Measell, Wiggins).

The plate shown has a typical Northwood Basketweave pattern on the back. It is N marked.

A useful aid to recognition is that Northwood's Ivory has an opaque green glow under UV / black light.

Glen

Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:29:04 PM »
Thank you for posting the pics Glen, that is interesting. I don't recall seeing anything quite like it before. It does look rather ceramic-like doesn't it?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »
It does look rather ceramic-like doesn't it?

Yes indeed - much like Sowerby's Ivory Queen's Ware etc., etc., (witness the name "vitro-porcelain"  ;))

Glen

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 02:34:04 PM »
I have a few NW unusual Custard pieces that I've accumulated which later went to the carnival line. Ken

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »
Stunning! Thank you for sharing those photos.

(btw., I will stand to be corrected but, re. timeline, I think the Carnival versions nudged in first).

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 03:39:35 AM »
Glen I have been under the impression that Custard Grape Arbor & Grape & Cable were both produced prior to 1908, Grape & Cable was introduced in 1906. Both lines Custard/Carnival did run side by side for several years (discounting pearlized Custard in 1914 which differs from stained Custard) so I based my comment on which type was introduced first, Grape & Cable Custard in 1906. I have always gone by Bill Heacock's Custard reference dating, but perhaps more current information is now available.  Ken    

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 08:26:13 AM »
Hi Ken - this aspect of Northwood's glass is not something I have studied closely, and I have not done any research into it myself, so I certainly make no claims here. I'm going by the section in "Harry Northwood The Wheeling Years" (Heacock, Measell, Wiggins) p 172: "The first Ivory articles in 1914 may have been gold decorated, but a brown stain was introduced within a few months, and blue and pink backgrounds were available somewhat later."

Same book, p 68, notes that Grape Arbor was made after 1914 in Ivory Glass "including some interesting pink stained items" which are then referenced by illustration to figs 764-765 on pages 128-129. In those illustrations are photos of nutmeg stained Grape & Cable items (including a plate like the one I showed earlier in this thread) and several pink and blue stain items (including a G&C punch bowl with blue stain and a Grape Arbor pitcher with pink stain that appears to be the twin to yours). The explanatory text notes: "These Grape and Cable items c. 1914, have the original decoration, a brown stain called 'nutmeg' today. Other articles may be gold decorated or have pink or blue stain."

Glen

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »
Hey Glen. I'll take a stab at what i think the date(s) conflict may be.  In Heacock's Encyclopedia of Victorian Colored Pattern Glass: Book IV : Custard Glass, pg 21 it states "Northwood Grape, this particular pattern was made in custard beginning in 1906, receiving popular market response & later underwent even greater production in carnival glass." My local library has the Harry Northwood Early Years, 1881-1900 by Heacock, Measell & Wiggins & frankly I've only scanned over it so I'll check it out. Sounds as if the color plates maybe copies of ones Heacock used in his VCPG Book IV on custard by what you are saying. I'm now inclined to believe (from what you've said) that because Heacock's VCPG Book IV has a publishing date of 1976 compared with Harry Northwood The Early Years of 1990 that the later reference is more accurate, namely because its associated with James Measell & Wheeling was (and still is) his backyard so to speak, therefore his contributions/research to the Northwood book would be more accurate. Heacock went it alone publishing his books in the beginning & I have heard that perhaps his research was faulty at times so this may well be the problem. Thanks for the tip Glen, I'll check it out. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand