No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help needed with ID of antique miniature.  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Nicholas.

• Members
  • nicholaschwartz@gmail.com
Help needed with ID of antique miniature.
« on: September 01, 2009, 10:49:55 PM »
I bought this miniature weight imagining it to be German but not necessarily Bohemian.
I bears signs of wear that would lead one to believe that it was made before 1900 but how much before I don't know.
It is extremely well executed but the glass has very slightly greyish tinge and has numerous very small air bubbles trapped in it.
Any leads would be much appreciated.
Nicholas

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Help needed with ID of antique miniature.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:02:26 AM »
For a similar weight, but with red cane, see the 1999 Exhibition pages in the site for the Paperweight Collectors Circle.

To get to the weight, point to the menu for "Events" and in the drop-down list click on "Past exhibitions". Then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the "Index here" link under "1999 Christie's, London". Now click on the link under the "Bohemian" heading in the "Antique" column. Finally, scroll down and click on the image for "Swirl 19" and this will show the weight in larger view with some text.

KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nicholas.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:49:14 AM »
Kevin,
      Thank you for enabling me to discover the origin of my weight and for showing me where to find a similar example.
                                        Nicholas.
Nicholas

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 08:32:24 AM »
Hi Nicholas

The term 'Bohemian' is often used rather loosely, sometimes meaning Silesia and Northern Bohemia, which is reasonable. But it is also (mis)used to describe weights from various areas in Germany, including Thuringia. I suspect your weight may well be German.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Nicholas.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 02:33:46 PM »
I've just had to take a good look at an historical atlas, in order to place these different regions of pre First World War Bohemia, Germany, Poland, etc.!

What interests me greatly is why the weight in the Pwt. Circle 1999 Exhibition was attributed to Thuringia, thus potentially leading on to an attribution for mine. Was it the colour and quality of the glass? is the design a known variety? or are there details of technique that are common to weights of this origin? What, please, are the clues?

Also why Thuringia in particular, rather than Bohemia or Silesia? 
Nicholas

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 03:18:34 PM »
Hi Nicholas

I was not suggesting your weight was necessarily Thuringian. It may well be 'Silesian', with the uncertainties that brings as what was Silesia now lies in Poland and Germany, I think.  It is worth having a look at Peter von Brackel's book ( see page 3 of this list) - in it he illustrates many weights from Germany / Silesia / Thuringia / Bohemia.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Nicholas.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 03:33:22 PM »
Thank you Alan,

I have the book you refer to but, as the weights I collect are generally a bit earlier than the majority of those illustrated in Peter von Brackel's work, I've not really studied it with as much care as I should have. I'll get on to that!

Nicholas.
Nicholas

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 04:38:49 PM »
What interests me greatly is why the weight in the Pwt. Circle 1999 Exhibition was attributed to Thuringia, thus potentially leading on to an attribution for mine.
The wording for that paperweight in the PCC 1999 Exhibition is,
Probably from Thuringia
(i.e. not a definite attribution) and that was based on the understanding of the owner (and others) at the time.

In the PCC 1999 Exhibition, all weights from the general area that was once Bohemia / Silesia / Thuringia (etc.) were classed as "Bohemian" because, again, that was the best that most folk could ascertain at that time.

Perhaps the "Bohemian" section of those pages could now be reviewed by someone with more knowledge and rewritten? Maybe a good job for the current PCC website editor to coordinate. ;D
KevinH

Offline Nicholas.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »
Kevin,

Thanks for explaining how, in the 1999 exhibition, Thuringia came to be suggested as a possible source of weights such as mine.

I've just been looking in the book recommended by Alan and I've found two weights that relate to mine on page 233. Both of these weights have "multi layered" swirls, constructed in the same manner as the swirl in my weight, albeit coloured ones.

Nicholas.
Nicholas

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 07:53:48 PM »
Also in the Von Brackel book, pages 148/9, item 309 is of interest, with a flower design that is fairly similar in structure, albeit with a central bubble, and attributed to "Probably Germany (Thuringia or Bavarian Forest?) 1890-1925".

However, also see items 138 and 139 on pages 90/1. These show examples of weights with a "double spiral filigree ground" and are suggested as "Probably Sileseia (or Bohemia?) c 1860-1914".

Could we please see a photo of your weight, Nicholas, in side and base view to get a better idea of how the "spiral ground" is formed?

KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand