No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Big fish,little fish....  (Read 5076 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Big fish,little fish....
« on: September 16, 2009, 08:14:29 PM »
Have been trying for some time to track down who was responsible for,I mean made these,suppose I'm hoping there is a fishy expert out there,somewhere,Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
Re: Big fish,little fish....
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 07:34:33 AM »
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who likes these fish!!!!    They are ugly but I love them. I started with one huge one I bought for a pound and now I've lost count. I have them across the tops of my kitchen cupboards, big ones, small ones, fat ones and long ones. We did discuss them a few months ago on here after I said the colours on a vase  I was trying to identify were very like my fish colours. I was told they are not all Murano but a lot have been copied in other countries. How to tell the difference I don't know. Some are better quality than others. I may be wrong but I seem to remember someone saying the copies were Polish.    Cheryl

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 07:39:40 AM »

Hi again, I have found the thread about the fish, it was said the copies are Romanian (not Polish)  They were made from the 50s to the 70s so still lots for me to buy then!!!! ;D    Cheryl

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:44:15 AM »
Slightly off-topic, but these yucky (sorry!  :-[) fish are completely responsible for my line of work today. I used to buy them up for 5p at church jumble sales back when I was a blonde mop-headed cherubic 8 year old and I got everything for nearly nothing - and then sold them to dealers for £10-20 each at carboots on a Sunday because they were inexplicably in fashion 20 years ago. Excellent way of making pocket money. I used to do the same with antique books and vintage toys later on, but it started with these fish.

Unfortunately jumble sales fell out of fashion, as did the fish. *sigh*

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:53:13 AM »
I sold a small blue speckled one recently, which had an old "Made in Romania" sticker on it, so that confirms the Romanian possibilities.  The ones with silver or even gold colouring in them (if you have any) are most likely to be Venetian.

Stu.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.
(ebay ID: tinker-taylor-glass)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:13:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies,I've also heard the Rumanian connection,I think that there are some quite modern ones that have a blueish tinge to the clear glass.Also got an internally silvered one(saw an identical one in London a few months ago at £186!!!!!)don't seem so many about recently,I've also got some vases with similar colouring,glad that I'm not the only one that likes them,Keith.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 10:16:06 AM »
One question to Tinker-Taylor,the one with the sticker,are the clear glass parts,clear,or do they have the blueish tinge I mentioned on my previous post?Keith.

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 10:41:34 AM »
Actually, even though I sold it a while ago, it still seems to exists on ebay.  You should be able to view.  Click below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320383981930&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123
Stuart & Emma Taylor.
(ebay ID: tinker-taylor-glass)

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »

I was talking to a lady on a car boot who says she sells the bigger fish for £80 at antique fairs, but asks £30 at car boots. I personally have never paid more than a fiver even for a big one. Quite a lot I see have damage to the mouth, I always get my husband to check anything before I buy as he spots faults I don't find  till I get it home.    Cheryl

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 12:51:23 PM »
 You've got me closely studing my fish, (a worrying thing to admit to!! ;D)    I have five little ones, four have clear fins and tail and the pale green one has pale blue fins and tail.
cheryl   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand