No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Austrian/Bohemian vase  (Read 920 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Austrian/Bohemian vase
« on: February 05, 2006, 08:34:03 PM »
Hi

I like your two Austrian vases - here is one I sold a while ago that is by the same manufacturer I think

If made before 1918 I would call these vases Austrian or Bohemian as I believe they were made in the historical region of Bohemia within the Austro-Hungarian Empire - after 1918 they would be Czech/Bohemian.

I think they are around 1900 to 1920 as was my vase and are a company as yet unknown to me, the design is very like that of some Michael Powolny pieces for Loetz. I have seen them wrongly attributed to Powolny, but the finish and skills not there - as said he is being used as an influence.

Now all this is just my opinion, my piece had a lot of fine age ware and was bought by a collector who judged it good for c1915, however these kind of vases could have been made into the 40s - they could still be being made today. I don't think so, but nothing can be dismissed.

btw - my vase sold very well :wink:

Anybody else know about these vases with spiral trailing

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Austrian vase
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 04:59:32 PM »
Thanks Adam,
The taller one is similar to yours, a nice contrast between the cobalt blue and deep orange, I really like that one I really think it has age and will probably hang on to it. However,  the smaller paler vase could be later and I will certainly be listing that on Ebay. Money money money  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
Austrian vase
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 09:34:23 PM »
Hi Bryan

LOL - I only looked at the large blue one and assessed them as a pair :oops:

I never saw the smaller one properly - You are on the ball with it, I think it is later.

The larger one is a fine piece and the clear blue does go amazingly with the orange - Art Nouveau period (c1915) / secessionist style, very elegant and simple.

I would also hold on to that one, it's worth a fair bit in my estimation - for the 'love of glass' as well as money.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Austrian/Bohemian vase
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 12:27:17 AM »
Excuse a bump of a very old piece, but now that there are more people on the board with an interest in Bohemian glass, I wondered whether anyone might have any further information on this one, before the thread gets filed away.

Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand