No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id for double frosted green cake stand please - ID = Sowerby 2455  (Read 3303 times)

Offline CEH

• Members
Re: id for cake stand please.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »
Lovely to see so many other admirers of cake stands!

By white, I do mean grey/white and frosted - not clear glass.  I must get my terminology correct  as I ought to know that white really means clear.  Sorry. :-[

Nearly all the complete sets I have seen have smaller top plates and that includes china ones where both plates match pattern-wise. I have a couple of Chance double dish cake stands with both plates in the same flower.

Marriages - yes - I have a box of plates with holes in and another box with handles, spacing rods, nuts and bolts!  I have made a few nice relationships up from it all.

The pink one (top plate 8"diam and lower one 9 1/2"diam)  ....   the crack is a V shape piece that broke out of the lower plate.  I was tempted to say bottom one but decided against it! ;)

Cheers

Christine

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
If you still have the 'piece' - you might try sticking it back.   I think one of the Loctite products is made especially for glass, and you can trim the excess, with a craft knife, when dry.   I expect the purists wud shun this practise (?), but if nothing else it prevents the existence of a potentially dangerous edge on an unsuspecting eater of cakes.   Re big and small  -  personally, I can't see a proprietry issue of a double tier, ever having the smaller plate at the bottom  -  maybe only, as you say, when you make up odd ones at home.   However, I'm willing to be proven wrong  -  is there anyone out there who has a commercial set with sizes 'vice versa'.         
 Re terminology  -  I get the impression that 'flint' is used for any glass which is technically not coloured  i.e. whether it is frosted or smooth.    As items they are very collectible, just that they take up a lot of room.    Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 04:12:04 PM »
As sets were probably self assembly (Chance certainly were), no doubt some have been assembled t'other way round on purchase or post washing up. Oh dear all the fondant fancies fell into the dog when the cakestand tipped over   Bit like all the trinket sets you see with funny little top-heavy footed bowls.  :-*

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 04:26:43 PM »
thanks for ending with a laugh Christine  - and as usual thanks for your knowledgable help along the way.   think we shud leave this one now, and all start a new topic.   I have this massive Uranium decanter on which I wud like your opinion, but I don't have the............................. :sleep:    Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 04:35:24 PM »
I know little about decanters but do show please

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 04:45:32 PM »
o.k. will do when I get home.   It is really a rather sad tale about which I will relate more this evening...........Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand