No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Antique Ruby Liquer glasses- info pls?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Elmwood

• Members
Antique Ruby Liquer glasses- info pls?
« on: October 28, 2009, 03:14:16 PM »
Hi all,

Would like to find out a little more about these cute little liquer glasses before listing on Ebay.  They were bought from auction last year, listed as-

"clear-cut ruby, probably Bohemian approx 1890". Each has its own individuality, rough broken pontil, the middle one leans somewhat. All approx 3.75" tall,

Can anyone offer any info please......

All comments welcome, Sharron

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Antique Ruby Liquer glasses- info pls?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 03:20:59 PM »
I was told they were 1950s copy of earlier pieces and i believe i have also read it somewhere , but i could be wrong . i have also seen quite a few matching decanters .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Elmwood

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 03:26:31 PM »
Thanks John

Ohhhh I do hope you are wrong, if they are copies then they are very crude, or have been made to look authentically crude?

Now found the sale catalogue for November last- "A near pair of ruby liquer glasses and another similar"

S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 04:01:48 PM »
They're are not cut to clear either. Two are engraved and either stained or flashed (never quite sure how to tell the difference) and the other is just stained. The feet don't look wide enough and the clear looks very clear for over 100 years old.

Offline Elmwood

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 04:36:31 PM »
Thankyou.....

I have taken everything onboard and agree with what has been said.  What a steep learning curve this glass collecting is?

Our early purchases were extremely speculative? ;)

Thanks sharron

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 05:41:08 PM »
Sharron it happens i made so many mistakes when i started and still occasionally do after 30 years , every mistake is a piece of knowledge .

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 07:17:40 PM »
I was convinced the period and technique are safe from forgery as there is no financial gain - but maybe ruby flash has made a comeback I was unaware of?  The difference between casing and staining or flashing is the thickness; none of these were cased, and staining or flashing has been with us since the 1830s. The models are quite 1890sw, and if stand ring scratch confirms, there is no reason to doubt the original description.

Offline Elmwood

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 08:38:50 PM »
The models are quite 1890sw, and if stand ring scratch confirms, there is no reason to doubt the original description.

IVO:- Do you mean is the foot edge folded over, so that the pontil sits above the surface?  The base does look folded, and nothing scratches the surface. 

Ivo & John - As both these items were purchased at the beginning of our glass journey, (Sept 08), we at least have now learnt what we we like and what fires our imagination. It amazes me in such a short time how much our reaction and admiration can change each and every time we discover a wonderful piece of mecurial glass. So thankyou both for your input, and encouragement. 

Sharron 

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 10:01:48 PM »
I mean small round cup, merese and foot made either in a clapper or by hand - stem made seperately or worked out of the bowl - all is possible, various techniques were current and do not necessarily follow the guidelines for production glass. These just look OK to me...

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 07:51:35 AM »
Well i have seen many sets of these at very low prices in Antique shops that i visit,some with some without decanters, they stay for a very long time one set of four glasses and two decanters has been on the shelf for at least two years , i suppose there maybe a few originals about  :huh: i would love to be proved wrong . :thup:
  1950 Would make them 60 years old .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand