No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavy eight sided aquamarine vase - Moser? Leerdam?  (Read 3249 times)

Offline 2ndhandDesign

• Members
Heavy eight sided aquamarine vase - Moser? Leerdam?
« on: October 28, 2009, 11:28:17 PM »
Hi. This is my first time on this forum. Purchased this vase earlier in the year. Im sure I've seen this color used in other leerdam work, and the faceted nature of it reminds me of Frank Lloyd Wrights work at leerdam (probably wishful thinking there!) or perhaps A D Copier? Can someone please help me identify this vase, I've spent hours trying to do so with no luck yet!

cheers

paul
Paul Kowalski
2ndhandDesign

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Heavy eight sided aquamarine vase - Moser? Leerdam?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 07:37:51 AM »
Czech panel cut from the thirties, if you're lucky by Moser but if it is, it should say so in a vague stamp on the bottom; most smaller pieces are not stamped so it's anyone's guess. There were quite a number of Czech producers of these panel cut deco shapes.

The FLW vase (one! only) made by Leerdam is quite a different kettle of fish. The managing director of Leerdam contacted FLW in 1929 to design some glass for Leerdam, more as a justification for a lavish business trip to the US with his secretary. FLW obliged, and then it turned out Leerdam culd not possibly produce the design, so the only prototype is in the glass museum. This item (which looks like an overdimensioned Mandruzzato vase with a single sommerso) is still used to boast that "FLW designed glas for Leerdam". 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline 2ndhandDesign

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:09:32 AM »
Hi. Thanks for the info... Have been reading several books on FLW, hard to know what to believe, one book says only one was ever made another book says four of the same shape in two different sizes and yet another says he designed a dinner service?! Back to my vase though it doesn't have a mark that I can see maybe 15cm high and quite heavy thick glass, almost 1cm thick at the rim. Cheers
Paul Kowalski
2ndhandDesign

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:34:44 AM »
Definitely no dinner service, FLW activities were lmited to sketching one vase only (in 2  sizes) and it never made it to production because it was too large to press neatly and too expensive to panel cut..

Cochius, who initiated Unica in 1923 after a pleasure trip to Murano, just loved travel, and was permanently underway - at the expense of the glass factory. His trip to the US "to meet FLW" in 1929 led to the request for a glass design. Because he had not automated production like he should, losses accumulated and Cochius was fired in 1933. The factory went under and was taken over in 1938 by the competition.  It may not be what you read in literature about Leerdam - there he is made to look like an idealist and a saint. This is only one of the missing chapters from the official Leerdam hagiography...

Your vase sounds as if it could be unsigned Moser, or Dobronin (now Desna) - it is certainly a nice item. Attached something very similar - but much smaller.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:19:26 AM »
Zelezny Brod Sklo could be another option. My little cut cranberry ZBS piece here is relatively thick

Offline NKP

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 08:10:42 PM »
Definitely no dinner service, FLW activities were lmited to sketching one vase only (in 2  sizes) and it never made it to production because it was too large to press neatly and too expensive to panel cut..

... several design drawings were made for a (dinner) service, candle sticks, glasses and jugs. Admittedly it could be that FLW sent designs that he already developed, possibly not for glass altogether 8) .

Offline 2ndhandDesign

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 03:22:46 AM »
Hi. Thanks everyone for your help so far... Forgot to mention that christies have sold two diffent shaped vases attributed to FLW, easy to find on the website if you look at past auction results. Cheers
Paul Kowalski
2ndhandDesign

Offline 2ndhandDesign

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 06:50:05 AM »
Hi. I've had this for awhile now, no marks whatsoever, a heavy eight sided aquamarine vase. I thought it was moser karlsbad but not so sure now, have seen pics of leerdam pieces with same color. Any help would be much appreciated, cheers!

Paul Kowalski
2ndhandDesign

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 07:15:37 AM »
Hi Paul,
you´ve already posted this question some time ago:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,29853.0.html
If you wish your thread to be bumped, please, simply reply to your own thread. It will get to
the top of the list again and hopefully catch some fresh eyes. By this we can avoid double
postings and keep this board tidy. Good luck however!  :)
Regards,
Dirk
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline 2ndhandDesign

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 07:16:56 AM »
Oops! I was wondering about that... sorry
Paul Kowalski
2ndhandDesign

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand