No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sea Green ? decanter - ID = Holmegaard (but a marriage)  (Read 944 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Sea Green ? decanter - ID = Holmegaard (but a marriage)
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:02:18 PM »
Hi any ideas on this decanter. It stands over 13" high including stopper and has a ground out polished pontil and looks pretty much Sea Green.

Cheers,Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Sea Green ? decanter
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 01:20:04 AM »
Looks like you've got a 'marriage' on your hands - the decanter itself is almost certainly an 'Aristocrat' by Per Lütken for Holmegaard, and the stopper, if it's the same colour, is most likely from a HG klukflaske.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:49:44 PM »
Thanks, looks like another for the out tray then :cry:
Chris

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:11:35 AM »
You never know who's after spare parts, though - were they both in clear glass I'd have snaffled them from you, insofar as that I've an Aristocrat decanter whose body is scratched and stained beyond reasonable repair, and a stopperless klukflaske crying out for a clear glass replacement.

Let me know when you want to sell it - I could be tempted to start stockpiling Smoke-coloured odds and sods if it's not too pricey (or stained - Aristocrats are a pain for that, and a bigger pain to restore).

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: Sea Green ? decanter - ID = Holmegaard (but a marriage)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »
Are they classed as smoke? looks smoke in the photos, but in reality it's pale Green much like the W/f Sea Green ones, have not had time to clean it but suspect it may be stained looks foggy inside.
Chris

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Sea Green ? decanter - ID = Holmegaard (but a marriage)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 12:49:55 AM »
Smoke is a very grey colour with a hint of green - sometimes a fairly strong hint - but I don't think it could ever be compared to WF Sea Green. The early clear-crystal versions have a decidedly yellow tint but, again, nothing like Sea Green. I can't think of anything in HG's palette that's similar.

That said, all the Sea Green I own (about 15 pieces - it's my favourite WF colour) is very very green, especially where the glass is thickest, and your glass, by comparison, looks very grey and only slightly tinted - even in the thicker parts.

But, for comparison, HG 'Aristocrat', without its stopper, should be around 11.5" tall, and 2.75" across the base.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand